Spitfire hood fitting

TR7th Heaven

Hi Folks,
I intend fitting a new PVC hood which I've just purchased for my '71 Spit myself. They'll be two of us, in a dry but not too warm garage. I've done a search and read that getting the PVC warm is the key to getting a good, tight fit but is there any other advice that I should bear in mind?
As I'm only a semi-competent DIYer should I be trying it myself, or is it better to bite the bullet and pay someone else to fit it?
Any advice would be most welome.
Cheers,
Richard
;)

I see your new to the Forum!?
Welcome, where in the UK are you? Place your location in your signature!

As if you are anywhere near Manchester I could help or assist as I fitted mine!

Getting the hood warm will help in fitting the PVC hood! Fairly straightforward but take care! Do you have the fitting instructions?

Rob

i fitted a hood to my spit with the help of my dad. had never done anything like it before. it went a lot better and was easier than i thought it would be. we were just very methodical about fitting it, checking everything twice before the fabric was fixed to the car. i done mine outside on the driveway, wasn't a particuarly hot day, from my experience the ambient temperature isn't a massive factor in fitting one. we certainly didnt do anything to make the fabric warmer.

i had a brand new hood that the manufacturer had marked with chalk lines that were pretty accurate in where the hood sandwiches in against the metal plates at the front and back of the roof. the only problem we had was finding a glue good enough to stick the fabric to the rear back plate. but it doesnt seem to matter too much as the vinyl is also pinned between the matal plate and the poppers by rivets.

Thanks Guys,
I'm in Norfolk. Quite a way from Manchester, but thanks for the offer.
I bought the hood from SpitBitz. I was really pleased with the quality for the price (£95) but there were no instructions at all. I e-mailed them for advice but they couldn't help, suggesting that I look on the web/contact the club etc. Which is what I'm doing.
Fitting the rear of the hood seems pretty straight forward. Of course the poppers need to be lined up properly etc but it's glueing the front part to the header rail that I find worrying.
Richard  ;)

TR7th_Heaven wrote:
Thanks Guys,
I'm in Norfolk. Quite a way from Manchester, but thanks for the offer.
I bought the hood from SpitBitz. I was really pleased with the quality for the price (£95) but there were no instructions at all. I e-mailed them for advice but they couldn't help, suggesting that I look on the web/contact the club etc. Which is what I'm doing.
Fitting the rear of the hood seems pretty straight forward. Of course the poppers need to be lined up properly etc but it's glueing the front part to the header rail that I find worrying.
Richard  ;)

Rich,

I've fitted a hood to my 1500 before, i'm back in Norfolk as of this Saturday, can give you a hand if you like, or of course you can contact one of the many Norfolk CT members ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived