Tr7 cam followers

Colin Cutts

1 hour ago, Colin Cutts said:

Looser

So something is getting smaller. 

Cam lobes, that would be obvious. Shims compressing, cam buckets wearing or valve stem tip. 

When you say regrind, I assume you are taking oversize shims and reducing their thickness to suit? I am certain those shims are hardened, not sure how they would respond to being refaced. 

1 hour ago, glang said:

But surface hardened only?

If they're OEM, they're hard all the way through, when I was in the trade doing engine reconditioning we would frequently load up the magnetic chuck with shims & send them through the surface grinder. That was last century, the modern ones are probably made out of soft chinesium & could well be the problem. 

• Like 1

Through hardened can make things quite brittle which is why surface hardening is used. However this only goes to thousanths of an inch depth. If broken through it might explain why Colins gaps keep opening up....

Well first how about looking at the existing shims? If they are soft you should see an indent in the side operating the valve where the stem has been impacting - otherwise theres no problem and the cause lies elsewhere...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin Cutts said:

Ok will try again(when it’s warmer) and use all new shims we’re is the cheapest place to get them from 

I have managed to swap shims with people when I needed them. They are common to stags and dolomites, so people often have a jar full of them. 

But it is worth checking the shims you ground have changed thickness in use, the issue may be elsewhere (but my brain is struggling to work out where)