Single throttle for PIs.

shenderson

Hi

Rather than hijack Nick Jones's thread I thought I should start a new one on this topic.  After 20+ years running a PI and knowing all the issues, I am thinking of upgrading my father's estate.

I have seen that a number of PI people have ditched the 6 separate throttle butterflies and fitted a single one at the end of the intake plenum.  As well as the obvious advantages, this should also improve breathing (if we were bothered about originality, this was also the concept envisaged by the original designers).

Ideally the throttle would be at the centre of the plenum but I can't see a way of doing that without major modifications.

What I need to know is:

where can I source a suitable throttle and linkage?

has anyone done this to an auto? (kickdown cable arrangement etc)

anything else I need to consider?

The car is a pre-facelift MK 2 with BW 35 auto, otherwise unmodified.

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Steve H

jcarruthers wrote:

They are also far better made than the Triumph throttle bodies that all need aligning and balancing.

The mechanically controlled versions of the BMW M series throttle bodies can suffer from wear, lack of alignment and poor synchronisation too.

I think low service and manufacturing costs are the main reason they use the more basic single throttle body arrangement on their run of the mill volume production cars.  Maybe not the ultimate solution though?

As I say, they obviously think the more complex arrangement is worth the extra maintenance and build costs when it comes to the M cars.

Archived