How to find private workshops for sale?

Evening everyone,

We are looking to move house and sadly this might mean I won't have a garage/workshop for the Spitfire 😢.

I've tried to find private (I.e. not commercially licenced) workshops/sheds for sale through Google but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find any? Not looking to commit to anything just yet, but researching incase our move doesn't involve a workshop/garage included with the house!

Cheers in advance, Nick

Many local authorities have garages to rent for around £15 to £20 per week, sadly without power, but battery power tools make a big difference.  
When we moved to a house without a garage 12 years ago I spent 8 years looking on Rightmove every week for something bigger.  I eventually found a small industrial unit to buy, about 600 sq ft plus 400 sq ft mezzanine where I can work on my Triumph Herald project and store my rare Alfa 145 boxer. 
Good luck, keep looking, never give up 👍

• Like 1

Just build a large wooden workshop/garage in the garden, providing it's below 2.5M high (3M if it's more than 3M from the boundary) , is not built further forward than the property building line  and not more than 50% of the land outside the main building is used for outbuildings then it doesn't need planning permission as it comes under permitted devlopments as a temporary structure. I was looking to move last year and that was my plan if a place didn't have a garage or only had a single garage. £10K would buy a good quality wooden garage.

Edited by cook1e

Any workshops etc being sold will have been used commercially, it would be extremely rare to find one that has not.

Your best bet is a "domestic" garage, bigger the better. But again most do not have water/electricity. But a decent sized battery and a solar panel should help that situation. 

I rent space in a barn for two of my cars. Landed in my lap as the owner was walking past one day and saw two Triumphs in the driveway, so popped in and asked if I was interested in renting some space..do check to see if work can be undertaken on site. 

So, if situated in the country, look at farms and see if any have barn space. 

Otherwise, small adverts in newsagent windows might throw something up.

As for building a garage, I would always consult the Local Authority Planning Officer to find out the local planning conditions. For example, the Borough Council that I live within charges approx £60 to let one know if a)Planning consent is required and B) if one sends over a sketch of the proposed garage and location within the property site, if there is anything one should be aware off. 

On 10/03/2024 at 14:56, cook1e said:

Just build a large wooden workshop/garage in the garden, providing it's below 2.5M high (3M if it's more than 3M from the boundary) , is not built further forward than the property building line  and not more than 50% of the land outside the main building is used for outbuildings then it doesn't need planning permission as it comes under permitted devlopments as a temporary structure. I was looking to move last year and that was my plan if a place didn't have a garage or only had a single garage. £10K would buy a good quality wooden garage.

The issue is though, the houses we can afford in the areas we are looking won't have the space to do this...! Hence trying to look at possibility of buying or renting workshop/domestic garage space elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Spitfire74 said:

The issue is though, the houses we can afford in the areas we are looking won't have the space to do this...! Hence trying to look at possibility of buying or renting workshop/domestic garage space elsewhere.

The art of compromise! We moved house 11 years ago, almost accidentally. But we happened to see a corner plot house close to where we lived that had potential. First thing we did was build a decent sized garage. And level the garden (200 tonnes of chalk went via grab lorries) 

6 hours ago, Spitfire74 said:

What area are you looking at, out of interest? Gumtree seems to be the place to find garage space near me around south London. 

• 2 weeks later...