What Diff Ratio is this?

RCampbell

I have just unearthed a Type D Diff in the garage that I am about to put on ebay, it is FR stamped so I know that it is a Type D but im unsire of the ratio, I think it might be a 3.89 but wondered if someone out there could clarify? 

Ideally I dont want to open it and count teeth!

(It will depend on whether I had it for the non overdrive MKIII GT6 or the Overdrive 2l Vitesse)

20240407_130308.jpg

20240407_130321.jpg

Edited by RCampbell
Typo

FR should be 3.63, spitfire 1500. Often regarded a very good choice foir 2 litre cars.

The only way to tell for sure is to mark the input flange. turn BOTH 1/4 shafts  exactly 1 rotation, and count how many rotations the input makes. if a smidge under 4, it is 3.89, a bit over 3 1/2 is 3.63. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Clive said:

The only way to tell for sure is to mark the input flange. turn BOTH 1/4 shafts  exactly 1 rotation, and count how many rotations the input makes. if a smidge under 4, it is 3.89, a bit over 3 1/2 is 3.63. 

I've never been massively confident trying this method myself, I struggle to discern the difference between 3.89 / 3.63. I guess if I was more careful about it I could tell by whether the flange is in the "half-past to quarter to" or "quarter-to to on the hour" quadrant when it stops. Out of frustration I've ended up opening the diff up and counting the crown-wheel and the pinion teeth and doing the division. 

• Like 1

I have never done this myself before so at risk of sounding totally stupid this is only a SUGGESTION..

Turn the 1/4 shafts 10 rotations which would amplify the output to approx 39 / 36 which would be easier to see the difference.  Would need the help an assistant.  🤔

Would it work ?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Kevin R said:

I have never done this myself before so at risk of sounding totally stupid this is only a SUGGESTION..

Turn the 1/4 shafts 10 rotations which would amplify the output to approx 39 / 36 which would be easier to see the difference.  Would need the help an assistant.  🤔

Would it work ?

Yes, that would work. Deffo need an assistant, counting 2 different things would get mighty tricky by yourself.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kevin R said:

Would it work ?

Confuses me!    If you're turning the quarter shafts, then you must be counting the turns on the INPUT flange, that bolts to the prop shaft?

John