Matt306

Hello everyone here for some ideas on Carb Problems.

For the first time since the car was on the road (a long time ago) I ran the engine up to temperature. When warm I thought i would check the mixture and timing. Timing easily adjusted with the use  of my Gunson light with timing advance function.
The carb though is another issue.
I rebuilt this carb with service kit, not included was a new metering needle or jet. I put in a new seals and gaskets needle valve for the float chamber. Now I tested the carb mixture by lifting the air valve slightly the engine picked up noticeably so I back off the screw on the base, no change, again , no change ... in fact which ever way i went the mixture wouldn't lean off screwing up or down.

Took the carb off, floats fine, no holes , checked needle valve by blowing down the inlet , no noticeable leaks. Floats 18mm above flange of carb  body. Diaphragm fine...

Is it time for a new jet and metering needle or should i be checking something else?

Ah.... Mine are much later, temperature compensators and all that malarkey. So I'm not the expert on your one. However things that caught me out were:

The carb to manifold gasket, these can be put on four ways, back to front, upside down, back to front AND upside down and finally, the right way. There is a cut out on the gasket to line up with a hole in the carb body. I put mine on wrong and got exactly the symptoms you describe. There again yours may not have the hole!  ;D

The inlet manifold gasket may be leaking which will also mess up the mixture.

I think even with a worn jet and needle you should be able to screw it down to run lean.

How about the choke? Did that get overhauled? If  that's not right you're gonna have trouble with the mixture.

Thanks for the reply, it all came apart and all given a damn good clean. The Choke (manual on these) came out and was cleaned too.
As to the gaskets that could be an issue but wasn't aware it made much of a difference as they as item 63 here; http://www.canleyclassics.com/?xhtml=xhtml/diagram/herald1360carburettor.html&xhtmlcatalogue=xhtml/catalogue/herald1360.html&category=engine&xsl=diagram.xsl

I also found that even slight over-tightening of the top cover screws sometimes caused the air valve to stick and not drop cleanly.  It could be useful to get that right first without the jet fitted, and then get the jet centred.  Another possibility is the needle - is its shoulder dead flush with the bottom of the air valve?  Common sense tells you to drop it into the hole as far as it can go before clamping it, but that'd cause a rich mixture too.

Sounds familiar.  I found that if you keep tightening them gradually in turn whilst sliding the valve up and down then you can get to a point where the screws are nipped up but not stupidly tight and the valve still moves freely.  This is all with the jet either removed or loose, of course.  It seemed to work out ok for me anyway.

I ordered new metering needle and jet to be sure. Before removing the jet and needle i backed off the nut underneath the float bowl screwed jet up and dropped the needle into the jet, did it a couple of times. Then placed a drift down the damper tube and held the air valve close an nipped up the nut. The air valve seemed to move better.

The metering needle looked quite grubby so i suspect for £20 its worth replacing them, especially at the price of petrol!