Spark plugs

Steveant1

Had a little look again at my car as I haven’t had a chance since I got it a couple of weeks ago I taken a couple of spark plugs out to replace them and noticed that one is short reach in the head and the ones I got for the car was long reach. It’s a good job that I looked before I put them in. So my question is what is the right plug long or short reach. And noticed that I have a little leak on the still water pipe that goes behind the exhaust down pipe are they hard to get hold of. And the carb looks a bit worse for where. 

IMG_0304.jpeg

IMG_0302.jpeg

IMG_0307.jpeg

IMG_0301.jpeg

IMG_0303.jpeg

IMG_0300.jpeg

IMG_0306.jpeg

IMG_0308.jpeg

Try to get a good look behind the exhaust manifold with a bright light and mirror as theres also a core plug there that is prone to leaking. Think the pipes are available in stainless...

Water return pipes are available from Fitchetts they will post them to you usually £5 postage 

tel: Telford 01952 619585 

There are two types, the 948 & 1200 are straight through but the 13/60 has an  extra outiet  on the side so make sure you ask for the correct one 

Hi yes I see what you mean. When I tried to have a look it was dripping down off the pipe but looking at the place of the cor plug it might be spraying on it then dripping down so I will take the pipe off then have a little look if I’m not sure I will take the manifold off. Then I may clean the engine up to see if the other gaskets are ok. I no the rocker box gasket is leaking. I noticed that there wasn’t a temperature gauge in the car so how would I know if it was overheating. How hard is it to fit one and where would the thermostat censor go. 

Will you buy the new pipe beforehand or wait until youve removed and inspected the old one?

Generally its pretty easy to know if an engine is running hot as it starts to pink (rattling noise as you accelerate), struggles to maintain idle and smells hot. Then helpfully before any damage can happen the radiator cap lifts and dumps steam everywhere (unless youre using waterless coolant of course)! All a gauge would do is give you a bit of advance warning that this is about to happen...

Hi. I will remove the old one first then if not the pip I will remove the manifold to look at the core plug. I’ve not long had the car and checking it all over before I take it out for a ride there is a lot I’ve got to do so it won’t be on the road for a bit. 

Hi. All I have taken off the manifold not a straightforward job as I thought I had to undo the exhaust and broke two studs to get the pipe at the back which I have now removed and it is the pipe which is leaking as in photos now I’ve just got removed the broken Studs And replace with a new pipe, clean the carburettor And put it back together. 

IMG_0339.jpeg

IMG_0338.jpeg

IMG_0337.jpeg

IMG_0340.jpeg

IMG_0341.jpeg

IMG_0342.jpeg

IMG_0345.jpeg

IMG_0344.jpeg

IMG_0343.jpeg

IMG_0346.jpeg

IMG_0347.jpeg

IMG_0348.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Steveant1 said:

Hi. All I have taken off the manifold not a straightforward job as I thought I had to undo the exhaust and broke two studs to get the pipe at the back which I have now removed and it is the pipe which is leaking as in photos now I’ve just got removed the broken Studs And replace with a new pipe, clean the carburettor And put it back together. 

Oh dear now I do feel bad but I thought you could get the pipe out to inspect it first without removing the manifolds☹️

• Like 1

Hi Glang, on the Herald you need to remove carburettor , inlet and  exhaust manifolds and to unbolt the exhaust bracket on the bell housing  it’s a faff lol 

the water return pipe can be changed without removing the ancillaries by feeding it behind the manifold.as with the Vitesse but can’t get to the core plug without removing all the  above,  I suspect that Steve has insoected the core plug too  which explains removal of carb, manifolds , exhaust  etc 

Edited by Wendy Dawes
  • Thanks 1

On 20/04/2024 at 22:13, Steveant1 said:

Hi. I will remove the old one first then if not the pip I will remove the manifold to look at the core plug. I’ve not long had the car and checking it all over before I take it out for a ride there is a lot I’ve got to do so it won’t be on the road for a bit. 

There’s usually more to do than you think once you start 🙄

• Confused 1

I did try to remove the pip without removing the manifold first but no go and I did what to see if the cor plug is ok. Getting the down pipe off is a pain in the harry then 2 nuts broke off now I have to get the studs out. Next step is the carb stop down and clean then find out where all the oil come from. 

13 hours ago, Wendy Dawes said:

That’s bad luck I had the core plug behind the manifold leak  on Mabel  I fitted a new stainless water return pipe on her too 

IMG_8565.jpeg

326b3e20-abb8-4356-8da4-573468e9bdcd.jpeg

Where did you get the pipe from I’m trying to find the place that sells the pipe with the flange they say fit and forget that is what I want to do.