Carb dashpot spring?

Rich_s

Just been flicking through the Moss catalogue as i need some bits for my car, spit 1500, i have noticed that in the dashpots on the HS4's it it supposed to have a spring in there as well as the damper, i have had the car for almost 3 years and took the carbs apart a fair bit and never noticed this before, just wondering how big a difference it makes and whether i should bother getting some o not?

second question is which ones as its not that clear, seem to be either a slim spring or very wide one, but if not needed i'll continue to do without.

thanks
rich

Certainly should have springs.  The carbs cannot correctly meter the mixture without them - will tend to make the engine run leaner as the piston can rise higher at a given flow rate reducing the vacuum over the jets.

Size needed depends on whether you have the ball bearing dashpots (late cars only) which uses the big springs of the plain bush daspots which uses the smaller springs.  There are also (at least) 2 different spring weights (red or yellow) - you need to get the right ones.  You should probably check to see what needles are fitted.  

Cheers

Nick

Hello Rich,

if your car is standard and the carburettors still have the identity tag on the float chamber, post that up and I'll check my Burlen catalogue for you and give you the correct part number.

Alec

Just checked my carbs and they are FZX1327. i have done just 16,000 miles on the current setup and always thought there was something not quite right but never found it and just accepted that was the way this car ran, checked everything over and everything was standard including the needles but never occurred to me the spring was missing, doh!

would be nice to know what it should have so i can fit them one day.

thanks
rich

Thanks Alec,

i have some old motorbike carbs that happen to have 4.5oz carb springs, but they are the thin ones not the thick ones, am going to put them in and see what difference they make then sort out getting the correct ones if they make the car run better.

thanks
rich

this goes to show i should never trust my memory, have just took the tops off and it has the springs in there, along with lots or crap and not much oil in the damper, so guess it could be these having an effect on the running?

I swear i have never seen them springs before, i must be going mad, all cleaned out and topped up with oil.

thanks for your help guys, i need to remember to take the car apart first then ask questions, not just rely on my useless memory :)

rich

Archived