2000/2500 Rear Anti Roll Bar and other mods

Callan Hyde

Hi folks, wondering if anybody has devised a rear anti roll bar setup for a big saloon?

Im working on improving the cornering ability of my Mk2 2000, after several upgrades and modifications im now looking at fitting anti roll bars. Front end will be straight forward enoughh with fitting of a standard ARB from a 2500, i hope this should vastly improve things. Also suggested by a friend of mine is the possibility of finding a rear ARB from another vehicle which will fit between the trailing arms with some modification. Wondering if this has been done before by someone on the forum perhaps, if so i would greatly appreciate if you could let me know below how you went about it!

My car started life as a PFL Mk2. Im running spax shocks on the rear(Not the best i know but they were cheap and work okay so far)with CW  475lb fast road springs. Up front ive got KYB shock inserts, polybushed struts, polybushed drag struts and CW 205/400 Progressive springs. Changed the wheels out for some 15" TR wheels as the standard 13" wheels struggled to keep traction(especially in the wet!) and certainly werent a fan of potholes 😂 Tyres are 185 R15 Vredstein classic sprints, bit tall really but they came with the wheels brand new so not going to let them go to waste! Will fit some lower profiles when these are worn out.

Compared to how it was when i got it, the ride and cornering capabilities are significantly better. Trouble im finding is coming out of corners with a bit of haste, she tends to go a little floppy up the front end and twitches a bit. As well as the addition of the ARB, after speaking to some folks its been suggested that a strut brace may also be beneficial in helping eliminate this trouble. 

Curious to hear of other fast road orientated modifications perople have conducted. Currently my engine is a stock 2.0 soft cam, domed piston saloon engine as far as i can tell. Im planning on changing this soon enough by changing to a TR5/6 cam. Whilst losing some low end manners im hoping the gain in mid-high range torque should be worthwhile. Expecting to be limited by the HS4 carbs im running but we'll find out!

Im far from an expect on this subject hence my request for others feedback, not opposed to finding stuff out myself however 😂

Attached picture is my car in all of its scruffy glory at the top of Long Myndd, Shropshire!

IMG_20210626_183301.jpg

Edited by Callan Hyde
  • Like 1

• Callan Hyde changed the title to 2000/2500 Rear Anti Roll Bar and other mods

Ive got KYB dampers up front with witor progressive springs. Fast road springs on the rear with spax adjustables. Its not bad now but not quite happy with the twitch and roll im getting up front coming out of corners really. As it is now would be sufficient for most but seeing as ive rebuilt most of the suspension i want to make it as right as i can whilst im at it.