distributor drive gear

iggy

hi the distributor in my mk2 2500 on carbs is fitted to a pi pedestal and drive gear which is leaking oil am i right in thinking i can separate the two halfs of the drive gear by removing a pin then fitting the bottom half back into the block to put the distributor in? or do i need to buy a new distributor drive gear for a none pi car, also is it ok to fit a thin gasket under the pedestal?

I'd suggest getting the complete non-PI drivegear and matching pedestal.  You may find someone willing to trade as the PI parts are relatively hard to find these days.

The gasket thickness between block and pedestal is used to set the end-float on the gear.  There's a procedure for measuring it and calculating gasket thickness in the manual and it's important this is followed so the gear is not pinched tight between them. Rarely you'll find one that doesn't want a gasket at all - just use a smear of silicone gasket.

Nick