1500 distributor on uprated 1200 engine

roger.england

I've noticed a couple of comments in the past about changing the distributor on an uprated 1200 engine and the potential improvements by using a distributor from a 1500 but haven't seen any definitive comments after this has been done. Can anyone give me the benefit of their experience please.

Thanks - Roger

It should work well I would think, what is wrong with the standard Lucas dizzy though?  I have a similar quandary with a similar head but with bigger valves and running a 30/70/70/30 cam.  This engine is very modified and has been balanced too for whatever reason....  I'm looking forward to dropping it into my Herald, and have the same carb and manifold set up but MKl Spitfire  stubby inlet manifolds.  I assumed a MKl Spit AC Delco dizzy would be the way forward but there are probably better and more up to date alternatives.

Mark

I have done back to back tests on my mildly modified twin carbed 1200 engine  with the following dizzies:
40743, early 1200
40791, hot cam 1200
41127, 13/60
41449 (RKC5044), Spit 1500 ( also Dolomite 1300, 1500, 1500HL, 1500 TC (72-75), etc.)

Frankly, I was not able to determine any real difference when driving my 'test' run, but I am happy with the 41449 (1500).
John Kipping recommended the 41449 as 'suitable for all Heralds'.

C