Distributor and oil pump drive gear

Oggi

Am I missing something completely obvious.

I am currently dropping another engine into the herald, but I cant see any obvious way of lining up the distributor drive gear, the engine is at TDC so the distributor should set to around No1 but the drive gear was not on this engine so I want to transplant from the original. Is it just a case of 1 tooth at a time trialing to get is in the right location or is there a right way to set this up??

Any advice would be welcome.

All I have handy is a Standard 8 manual, but this should be pretty close to the same.

"When fully home, the driving slot should be approximately in line with the threaded hole for the oil filter attachment, the offset of the slot being nearest to the crankcase."

Yes it is another herald engine going in so this information is absolutely fantastic and will hopefully save me a lot of time and is very much appreciated.

I was thinking I was facing the nightmare of having to work throught all the possible positions to line it up. The engine is hopefully going back in to the car tomorrow (as long as SWMBO doesnt need to go shopping or have a chores list for me). By the end of play tomorrow I should hopefuly have it near to running.

Just a quick note to say thanks for the advice guys, the engine is now back in the car and up and running. Now onto the rest of the jobs list.

Before the old lump goes to the skips does anyone want either it or anything from it. Free to any collector. (I am salvaging the fuel an water pumps for myself)

Archived