Type 12 v type 14 calipers

Neilriser

Hi all,i need some advice please i have a 68 1200  herald with type 12 calipers they need a complete over haul requiring new pistons,rubbers etc these parts are around 60 pounds,i do have spare pair of bearing hubs for the type 14 calipers, these calipers are now over a 100 pounds, should i bite the bullit and change to 14s or save and stay with 12s i know 14s are larger but would i really notice the difference? interested in comments please.Regards Neil

Well now... Some people will tell you that the type 12 calipers are no good, that the brakes fade out going down hills and so on, but my 1200 has had them fitted for as long as I've owned it - must be about 15 years now, including several periods as my only car - and that's not my experience.  I live in the mountainous Valleys are of south east Wales and have never had any problems with brake fade, and in an emergency situation the brakes have all the bite that the tyres can handle.

As long as the brakes are in good order, and as long as you make proper use of gearbox and engine braking on descents, then IMHO there is absolutely nothing wrong with the type 12 calipers on a Herald. If you can get the car on the road for less money using the type 12 calipers, that's what I would be inclined to do - though do check on the availability of pads, NOS ones used to crop up cheaply often enough a few years ago and I stocked up, but I don't know what the situation is like now.