Dashboard wiring loom earth connection

Crockett

Does anyone know where the dashboard wiring loom makes its earth connection to the bodywork?

I have a problem where the indicator and the main beam lamps on the instrument panel light up when the blower is turned on and the blower doesn't work any more. Very bizarre (as bad earth problems often can be).

I traced the fault to the fact that the  earth wire in the instrument panel wiring loom wasn't actually earthed any more, which was causing the blower to feed back through the earth of the instrument panel via the headlamps and indicators etc. I confirmed this theory by temporarilly earthing one of the instruments which made the problems go away.

So it looks like the earth connection to the dashboard loom has become broken. I know that the dashboard wiring loom earth connects via a multi-pin connector into the main wiring loom but I don't know where the connection to earth is actually made. I wanted to find the start of the earth connection to then follow up the line to locate where the problem lies.

I did notice two earth wires connected into the loom in the engine compartment to the mounting of the wiper motor. I'm not sure if this is where the earth connection is made? Does anyone know the answer to whether or not this is the correct place to start or if not then where the connection is made?

Thanks
Daryl.

Archived