Correct Function of the Light Switches?

SpitNoir

Greetings all.
Just wondering about the workings of the two separate power leads coming into the steering column light switch?
One is from the ignition switch (Brown w/green) and the other is from the dash-mounted headlight switch (Red w/green). Do either of these provide constant power, or are they both "switched" to the column?

When I replaced the failed column switch (fell apart in my hands as I removed it!), I found that it was wired with a very large gauge Brown w/yellow stripe wire with constant power. Also found that the Red w/green from the dash switch had no power under any circumstances. A mystery. Oh blow.

So, just wondering what the normal function should be. Do the lamps only work with the key on and the dash switch pulled? Or is the dash switch primarily for the parking and tail lamps, while the column switch turns on the headlamps and switches between the main and dipped beams?

Thanks for any insight into this mess. Trying to get them to work, but so far only the 3rd position of the column switch nets me any headlights.
Oh, and this is for the '65 Spit, as in the sig.

Paul

Hi,

The wiring diagram for an early Spit can be found here (US spec LHD):

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/wiring.htm#3

It looks like there is a permanent feed to the column light switch from the ignition switch (brorwn with black tracer NB) a second connection to the Voltage control box (brown with blue tracer NU). The headlight feed is Blue (U)which goes to the dip switch and the red and green (RG) feeds all the other lights - instrument and side lights.

The colours on this diagram don't quite agree with what you have . The feed from thre ignition switch seems to be for the headlamp flash and the other feed from the voltage control box for the everyting else. There does not seem to be a master light switch that was fitted to later vehicles.

There are some other wiring diagrams here:

http://www.spitfiremk2.co.uk/mk2.html

The UK spec MK2 does have the master light switch but he colours are the same as the US MK2

Chris

Paul,
If you have the floor dimmer switch, the column switch will have the functions :
1 Off
2 Parking lights(side lights)
3 Head lights
The dash switch will operate the instrument lighting.
                                                                             Good luck,
                                                                             Paul

Paul's got it. The US-spec. cars were unique in the way the lighting switches operated. Note, though, that the side and head lamps are NOT dependent on the ignition circuit; they work all the time. Only the flashers go through the ignition switch.

As others, I'm rather confused by some of the colors you quote. Brown w/yellow trace wires should only be found on the generator and IGN warning light. As to the dash lighting switch (gauges only, as Paul noted) the red w/green is a power feed TO that switch and to the fuse (A1 terminal) for the side lamps (off A2). I have to wonder if someone has "creatively rewired" your car with whatever wire they found, or if things just got completely misconnected.

And what are you using for a replacement column switch (Lucas part number?)? It could be tricky using anything but the proper original type US-spec. off-side-head (and pull-to-flash) switch.

Thanks all!
Yes, I'm convinced that some creativity was applied at some point in it's past. And that Brown w/yellow wire is oversized for sure and not part of the original headlight circuits. At some point, someone cut off the regular bullet connector, used a flat blade connector and hooked this large wire in from somewhere behind the instrument panel.
I have yet to trace it, but it's powered all the time.
I'm wondering now if something important is no longer functioning because power was re-routed to the lights!

It does have the floor mounted dimmer switch, so that's consistent. Thanks for the rundown on the individual functions. Now I know what to look for.
That seems consistent with what I have, and why I couldn't see anything (in the daylight) when pulling on the dash switch.

And thanks for he diagrams Chris. I actually have the big green service manual with wiring diagrams, but it does not always differentiate between left and right hand drives like yours does.
And yes, the colors, and even the layout are slightly different, so that helped quite a bit.

Andy, I bought the new switch from SpitBits here in CA and don't remember if it had any markings on it or not. But it was definitely a replacement, as far as the physical design went. But with just slight variations on the wiring colors.
Colors were "similar", but not always exact. For example, The switch as a Blue only wire, where the chassis side has a Blue wire with a tracer (red? or was it white?) on it. Things like that.
But it did seem to connect correctly (with some double-checking with an ohm-meter) and the lights do come on.
Now that I know what to expect from it, I can check to make sure that all is functioning as expected. The lights were never that great, and the car has been sitting for a long time, so I have to learn some things as I go.

To be completely certain where troubles lie, I have to go back and redo the running lights and their grounds AGAIN.
After all, I let things sit for a few months while I sorted out other stuff, so naturally things I did back then no longer work.
I blame it on myself though. If I had done everything right the first time, as I thought I had (whether leaving stock or modifying to be better), they'd all still work!
Right?

Cheers.

Paul