Overdrive wiring & relay

stevegt6

Ok, having trouble deciding what is at fault with the o/d, wiring or relay.... GT6 mk3

Relay Wiring is this:
C1 - Brown from ignition term 1 (same as white/red to starter solenoid)
C2 - Yellow / Purple from solenoid
W1 - White from ignition term 2
W2 - Yellow / Green from switch

With ignition at position 2 and in 4th with o/d switch engaged I have these readings at relay:
C1 - 0v
C2 - 0v
W1 - 12v
W2 - 0v

Manual says i should have 12v also at C1(brown)...??? but if i do apply 12v then it tries to start because the white/red is on same ignition terminal...?

Solenoid appears to be working....if remove brown from C1 and apply an external 12v in 4th the solenoid operates - regardless if switch is in or out....is that right...???

I do find electricals rather perplexing even though there are only a few wires lol

Everything has good earths and wiring all new

Appreciate the help :)

Steve,
White and red shouldn't share an ignition switch terminal with the brown wire to the OD. The brown OD wire should be common with the brown at the ignition switch.
You need to make sure that the yellow/green wire to the OD switch is not earthed when the OD switch is off.
Test the relay by removing the yellow/green wire from the relay and apply power to the C1 terminal. If the solenoid still engages the relay is at fault. If the solenoid does not engage try putting the yellow/green wire back with the OD switch off. If the solenoid now engages the OD switch or the yellow/green wire is at fault.
                                                                                            Good luck,
                                                                                            Paul

Does it matter which way round the 2 wires up to the gear-nob switch are connected - i have a brown and a blue wire....would have to peel off some sleeving to see which goes where further down.

Yes, the W/R wire going to start solenoid is only live on cranking - so one of the wiring diagrams is wrong. I have the original factory workshop manual and the ever present haynes......and following them, gave me brown sharing with W/R - should have twigged that was'nt right...

Anyway, will have a couple of hours this evening on it and see how it goes....  :)

Edit: Just realised it doesnt really matter about the 2 wires up the stick to swuitch which way round.....it either be 'in' is 'in' or 'in' is 'out' and 'out' is 'in'

8735 wrote:
Edit: Just realised it doesnt really matter about the 2 wires up the stick to swuitch which way round.....it either be 'in' is 'in' or 'in' is 'out' and 'out' is 'in'

Steve,
Wire placement makes no difference. "In" is in no matter which wire is on which terminal. The switch merely connects the two wires together when put "in" and separates them when set to "out".
                                                                             Cheers,
                                                                             Paul

Ok, now got working OD  ;D

Was just the brown wire take off from ignition terminal....quite obvious that sharing the starter wire will only have power when cranking - I guess i just wired it up to the numbered terminal in factory manual and moved on....

However, I do an a shorting issue with the switch in place - I have had to cover all metal surfaces to underside of switch with insulation tape to stop (mostly) the shorting. Like when i go for reverse, for example, because pressing down on stick, it shorts and relay clicks....but same happens if apply pressure when driving in 1, 2, 3 or top

If i lift switch clear of stick it is all ok....

I think will order new switch part and hope it be a little shallower.....