Vitesse Overdrive Question

pimp my vit

I asked this in another unrelated post but decided it needed a new relevant heading, I am putting the loom back in my car and cant quite work out the route of the overdrive loom, does it go into the engine compartment or behind the dash, also where is the overdrive relay fitted?

Lastly the speedo drive at the overdrive end, where it connects to that right angle joint, the cable doesn't seem to fit tight, you can still wobble it around a tiny bit, the outer nut seems screwed right up tight but the cable is not solid like at the speedo end.

Any thoughts?

I know that the wiring loom to the gearbox and overdrive goes to the engine bay, not directly into the car. As for the speedo head, not sure. I've seen some that were wobbly but after so many years use that could be age, wear or previous bodging.

In reply to your Queries:

1. The Overdrive loom routes through the engine bay from the Relay and connects via lucar connectors to the short cable run to the inhibitor switch and solenoid, the link from the switch (column type) to the relay is routed behind the dashboard on my car and goes through into the engine bay with the main wiring loom to the fusebox adjacent the battery.
2. The relay is to the right of the battery at low level as you look from the front of the car (Right Hand drive car).
3. The cable into the angle drive should not wobble, some of the repro angle drives are known to be poor quality and fail after a short period. (Had this happen to me, fitted a good original secondhand one and its been fine?

Regards

Gary    

Thanks Gary I did manage to eventually find the loom route and location of the relay, I think I might be missing the fiber washer from the speedo drive that Pete mention's.

I have spent a lot of time trying to remember and work out the route of the loom around the car.

Moral of the story; make plenty of notes /drawings/photos when you pull it apart!!

Archived