removing main bearing off main shft on OD gearbox

sujitroy

On the Stag' OD gearbox, the bearing on the main shaft needs to be removed with a special tool . (S4221A-15A)  The tool appears to fit within the groove of the bearing where the c ring sits. Can I just purchase a regular bearing removing tool from Harbor Freight and rig it up to use this?

From looking at some website, on other Triumph this bearing seems to side off, but not on the Stag.  

Does anyone in the San Jose bay have such a tool they can lend?

When I did the box for my PI saloon (which is the same in this area) I used a copper-faced hammer to knock the shaft through the bearing into the gearbox and then tapped the bearing backwards, out of the casing.

Alternatively use a homemade puller as described here
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Gearbox/GearboxDisassembly/gearboxdisassembly.htm

The Buckeye site is a great resource and the TR gearboxes very similar to the Stag one.

Nick

• 1 month later...

Just to close this thread.
I bought a 12 tonne frame  press from Harbor Freight for less than 100$, with some light mod, to the height of the press, the job became a piece of cake.  I can use the press for a few other projects on the Stag.

The gearbox is now empty and clean.  Now for the rebuild.

Sujit