Jonny-Jimbo

Hi all,

I think there is a chance the gearbox mount on my Mk1 has collapsed - when under the car you can barely see the mount in the cross-member, which makes me think it's failed and dropped. Certainly the gear-lever seems to move around a lot. The engine mounts look fine.

Is there any way I can check the security of the mount without removing it from the car? I guess I could drop the cross-member off easily enough.

I have a new old stock Metallastic mount from a Dolomite, will this fit?

The car (for those that don't know) has a 2.5L engine with an overdrive box fitted.

I guess it can't be that complicated to change? Jack under the gearbox body, then the cross member mounting nuts off, drop down and remove as appropriate?

As you describe, easy to remove and check. They tend to turn to a sticky mush. Must be oil contamination.

There were/are lots of poor quality mounts about, decent ones cost a lot.

You may find the bushes at each end of the cross member have also failed and broken up.

Not same bush as a Dolomite sadly.

Cheers

Colin

As Colin said,it will need the gearbox X member bushes for sure unless already replaced,mine had all but vanished and broken up,i replaced my mount a few weeks ago,its a straightfoward job,but when you come to lining up the X member with the 4 studs it can be abit tricky and the mounts/tube spacers have a habit in parting company as you try and line things up!
My mount was very soft and had collapsed this was very obvious when removed and put along side the new mount,i bought mine from CW and i think its Auz made.

Cheers Colin,

I'll drop them down and see what's what. It's not too hard to check on afterall.

Is Chris Witors stock okay, or is there anywhere with known good ones?

The bushes at the ends of the cross member SHOULD be good as they are poly-bush ones I fitted before the 2012 RBRR (Or Alex fitted when the gearbox was fitted, I forget)

I fitted a Rimmers gearbox mount to 'Poo' about 5 years ago and before fitting it I wrapped the whole mount in clingfilm, not once, around but 4 times, probably more, it is still holding up the gearbox 😉
But a word of warning.........It was a complete act to get it back in place and pierce the holes to fit the bolts 😀
Oh yes, 'Poo' leaks oil from underneath better than any other English car     

I must say, Mine leaks WAY less since I added a breather in the crank case. I tapped a hole and added a threaded elbow and hose into the blank where the mechanical fuel pump would have been. This has hugely relieved crank case pressure and it leaks a lot less now. It seems to go better as well which makes sense to me if there is less pressure in there.
Cheers

How much movement should there be in the mount?

I've managed to get a weekend in the workshop so am going to finish fitting the electric cooling fan etc, then get under the car to check it out.

I don't want to take it apart if I don't need to, but the amount of movement I see on the engine and gearstick suggests it is on it's way out (The front engine mounts are fine)

Quoted from Ridgetone Triumph

There's nothing worse than a non leaking Triumph!!!!!!  
Pity Triumph didn't utilise there drippy mechanicals and design a hose system to drip all inside the inner wings 😀

And I always thought that this was the British anti rust system as fitted to all British cars,

(dance)
Tony.

My mate told me of a story of these old radial engined planes (DC3s I think). They converted the engines to turbo prop late in their life, and all of a sudden started to have issues with corrosion in the landing gear. It all came down to not being covered with oil from the old radial engines! Old radials make triumph oil leaks look trivial I must add!