How do I dismantle my gearbox?

Freebird

Hello everyone.

I started to strip the gearbox from my Vitesse on Saturday in line with the instructions in the Haynes manual.

I took the overdrive off without any problems, except the layshaft came out with it which means the laygear is now diplaced and the needle rollers are randomly spread around the bottom of the box and my garage floor!

The input shaft came out of the front of ther 'box by tapping the bearing through from inside as the manual says.

Now I come to my problem. According to Mr Haynes, the output shaft can be partially removed by tapping the end of it so the bearing clears the casing, however, mine moved about 3mm and seemed to stop against something that I can't see.

Without getting the bearing right of of the casting. there is not enough clearance at the front to get the syncro rings (24 below) off and access the circlip (23) on the shaft.

I hope that makes sense to someone who knows these gearboxes. I've put it to one side now in anticipation of a brain wave/help.

Cheers for now

Glen.

Inside the box there's a cut out in the casing at the top of the main bearing into which you can insert a narrow drift. Drift out the input shaft on it's bearing. It will only come out about half of the bearing's depth using this method, but this is usually enough as you can pull it out the rest of the way. There's nothing else holding it in as it's only an interferance fit. The circlip under third (your no23) can only be accessed with the complete mainshaft taken out of the box and placed up-right in a bench vice. You will need two slim flat blade screwdrivers to remove it whilst levering third with a larger screwdriver. If you haven't done that before you might need a helper.

Archived