Has anyone lunched a Spitfire diff?

BiTurbo228

Well, I haven't had a great deal of progress to report. Turns out filling and sanding takes a loooong time.

In order to break the tedium, I've been thinking about diffs. Specifically how it would probably have been a good idea to go for a Subaru diff...

I then got to thinking, how fragile is the stock Spitfire diff?

So, how many people have lunched differentials and what were you doing when you did? If anything, it should make for some good stories ;)

For reference, mine's one of the earlier big bearing 3.89s with a quaife centre so should be about as strong as a Spit diff gets, although it will be behind a hopefully fairly beefy injected 2.5l and a bit of a lead foot...

The 2.6 has not actually done one as it is a 3.63 (strongest CWP) and a Quaife even survives mad donuts and general hooligan antics. Done in a few 3.27's quite a few 3.63's and 3.89's. So I have done my testing. I could break an anvil.

Power ? Don't know but quite a bit. But never rolling roaded. 0-60 4.7 (Performance meter and ecu log). At 140 (easy) she is still pulling like a train and busting for another cog @ 5800 rpm (shift light lit) 24 mph per 1000 rpm, oversize OD and oversize tyres.

Some years back at work I was doing my morning ritual donuts in the back yard. ( gave up that work thing because I decided I did not like it ) My boss magically appeared out of the dense tyre smoke cloud and shouted Laurence would you kindly refrain from doing that ?

I think that is what he said 😎

Laurence

Simon,

I have broken several, but all were early 4.11:1 units. Mostly have had the stub axles break, but lost a tooth from the crown wheel or pinion on one which poked a hole in the case. Not acting particularly the hooligan, but fairly hard launches. Oh,  all were behind an 1147.             

Regards,

Paul

The only one I've outright broken was also behind an 1147......  cross pin broke.  Provided a very odd semi-limited slip effect for a few miles before complete loss of drive and coffee grinder noises.

Worn several out though.  The current incumbent in the Vitesse (Kipping built 3.63) is starting to cry a bit.  Done about 50K.

Nick