Can anyone tell me how to find out what diff I have.
I have been using mintylamb to try and work it out, and have come to the conclusion that I have the 3.89 diff. If this is so, then where would I get a 3.63 diff from?

It may of course turn out that I do have a 3.63, it is my clutch slipping that I am reading, this remains to be seen.

(What are the chances of picking up a diff at Stoneleigh, and how are they generally?)

"Jack the car up on one side (put an axle stand under it.) put  a mark on the prop and the wheel with some chalk and count the number of turns"

That may not work, as BOTH the output shafts must be able to turn, but the idea is right.  One complete turn of the road wheelS, and count the turns of the propshaft.   Just under fout=3.89; just over 3 1/2 = 3.63.   You'll need to mark the propshaft all the way around, and calibrate it in degrees, as one mark may be invisible.
If you can take the gearbox cover off, you need not even jack the car up.  Just mark the tyre next to the ground, and the gearbox output flange.  Sit in the car and count the propshaft revs while your assitant pushes the car along for exactly one wheel revolution.

John
John

Spitbang - good news. This was prompted by a previous thread by someone else where it was suggested that they look at getting the 3.63 diff instead of the 3.89. This incouraged me to wonder what I had, and it appeared that the 3.63 would possibly be slightly better for economy. This confirms what I suspected, which is I have a substantial amount of slip on my clutch! This may also explain the not brilliant fuel consumption I have been getting, as compared to what other people/websites suggest I should be getting.

When I get the chance I shall double check this, but shall concentrate my energies just now in finding a clutch. Roll on Stoneleigh (says he in hope of picking up a Laycock clutch!!)

Archived