half shaft / quill shafts -help - broken it again!

rbm

so bit of a random question, the Formula Junior has a Triumph Diff. the axle is a live axle casing that has been cut down and modified to give independent rear suspension using a Chapman strut set up i.e. lower wish bone and uses the drive shaft as the upper suspension link.

okay at Nurburgring at the weekend we broke a quill/half shaft. the diff looks like a herald diff the quill / half shaft has 18 splines and is about 20mm 0.8" major diameter and look like they are half shafts from a live axle that have been cut down and welded into a prop shaft yoke

anyone got any ideas?

Hmm, I have never seen that 'drive cross' hub before, unless it's a normal Triumph one that's been machined down. On the section past the splines, is that a thread or an oil scroll?

I'm just wondering if it's not something daft like a bit off a 1300 or 1500 FWD, if it is Triumph? If it is then Mick Dolphin (http://www.mickdolphin.co.uk/) is the man to speak to.

Can see the pics now.....

No idea though - looks like a specially made part to me.  How is the cross held onto the hub - I think I can see a spline inside it?  Is the "thread" on the shaft itself a thread or an oil scroll?

Maybe possible to adapt something (1300/1500 FWD worth a look) though if it's an early diff the splines may be wrong (change diff?).  A word with Mr Pearson at Canleys might prove fruitful?

Nick

the Junior is a one off Canadian race car built in the late 50's early 60s.
The rear drive and suspension is unique to the car and is chapman strut with a lower wishbone.
The cross carries the inboard drums and is welded to the prop yoke, the thread on the shaft is for the lock nut that retains the shaft into the diff assembly.

I guess the question is what had a diff that looks like a Herald but had a live axle? based on the fact that the shaft looks to have been made form a cut down halfshaft.

Various Standards (8 & 10, possibly others) use the same basic mechanicals and are in the right era.  Something similar was also used in Dolomites and Toledos but I think will probably have slightly beefier diff components and bigger splines (I'm guessing though)

Sounds like a challenge.

Nick

Quoted from Nick Jones
Something similar was also used in Dolomites and Toledos but I think will probably have slightly beefier diff components and bigger splines (I'm guessing though)

I'm fairly sure the diff in a (non-Sprint) Dolomite is essentially identical to the Vitesse one, just bolted to a live axle instead of the Herald rear housing.

Quoted from RobPearce

I'm fairly sure the diff in a (non-Sprint) Dolomite is essentially identical to the Vitesse one, just bolted to a live axle instead of the Herald rear housing.

Yes, broadly this is true though I think there are some minor variations internally over the years of production.  You can even swap a Spit or Vitesse diff into a Dolly casing (harder the other way as the casing isn't machined to take the front bracket). Again with the higher (numerical) ratio diffs there are family resemblances but the 4.11 diffs have some variations in spline sizes with the earlier ones being smaller.  Suspect these earlier ones match the smaller Standard cars.

Not something I know a lot about hence suggesting speaking to DP at Canley.......

Nick