stricky

hello chaps,

The V8 project lives and i'm trying to finalise the spec before starting work.

Any recomendations for fast road suspension setup?

Anyone got AVO dampers?

how easy is it to go for a coil over setup on the rear?

would this be OTT for fast road?  :-/

thanks in advance

stricky wrote:
... Anyone got AVO dampers? ...

Yes ....  :P

Front's are OK, rear's just might be to long, not sure.

A friend also has AVO's at the rear and they are approx. 1 inch to long. As 't Kreng stands rather higher than the avarage TR7/8 I haven't encountered problems with them.

Good thing is they are adjustable on the car, very handy if you're doing La Carrera with a fully loaded car and find out the dempers need a firmer setting  :) Also both strokes are adjusted.

As for the suspension set up, what do you expect from the car and under what conditions ?

I have got AVO on car adjustables on the rear of my TR7 and Koni off car adjustables on the front.  AVOs do not appear to fit the front.  I got them fitted by Revington TR, but they will sell parts separately.  Use Superpro poly bushes (from the same source) and you will have a car that handles realy well, road or track.

Chriss wrote:
... AVOs do not appear to fit the front ...

One way or another they don't list them on their site but they do supply them
(number TAI 60-01) and they are adjustable on the car.

Advantage over the Koni's is that the in and out going stroke is adjusted as compared to the outgoing stroke only on the Koni Classic's

beans wrote:
  ...rear's just might be to long, not sure ...

I did measure them a few minutes ago and they are indeed the long.
With springs removed there remains a 20mm gap between bumpstop and axle ...

not good if you have a lowered car.
So it looks like AVO have some homework to do :-/

would this 20mm gap be a problem on road car?

I presume the coil spring would never compress down enough to cause any issues?

even with lowered springs?

do you not think 130lb in the front are a bit soft? normally the recommendations are 200lb

Quote:
I presume the coil spring would never compress down enough to cause any issues?

Well they do if you drive the car hard enough  :-/
It all depends on your suspension settings (spring rates and damper settings) combined with how much you've lowered the car and what you are carrying around ...

Quote:
do you not think 130lb in the front are a bit soft? normally the recommendations are 200lb

Bear in mind that the original springs are 88- 94 lb front and 165 lb rear

Well both my roadgoing cars have fairly uprated springs;

DHC stands on 200 lbs front and rear springs with soft/medium damper settings. Not driven it nough to give a proper verdict on it's setiings but should be OK.

FHC stands on 225 lbs front and 190 lbs with medium damper settings. As a result of the bias to stiffer front springs (compared with the rear) the car remains on the understeering side off neutral very long before she oversteers  :B

They are both a lot stiffer than standard and thus less comfortable, but still rather acceptable i.m.h.o. It's just what you prefer. Oh and they both have a strut brace to stiffen the front up a bit ::)

I am running my shock absorbers 2 clicks on the stiff side of medium.  My car is absolutely neutral steering on the dry, but it depends how you drive it in the wet. At cornors like Copse, at Silverstone, it will understeer in 4th and at the tighter cornors it will oversteer in 3ed.

Having 50%(ish) uprates on the springs does not appear to compromise the handling on circuits - look at the Silverstone Track Day pictures, where my 2L car was faster than the V8 TRs & MGs and standard MGFs - and makes the car reasonably comfortable but still very quick in mountains - 10CR and Carrera Caledonia.

But springs and shocks are not the only factors.  SuperPro bushes and Yokohama A539s also play their part.  I also run 1.5 degrees of -ve camber on the front.

Archived