Steering wheels compatibility

trubac

Not too sure about the specifics but will see if I can help.

As I understand it all small cars (Herald, Spitty,GT6) have a smaller spline column, and the big cars (2000, 2500, 2.5 and Stag) have a larger spline column so they are not interchangeable.  

This would appear to have been confirmed for me because I bought a Motolita boss apparently marked up for my big saloon but it won't fit (small spline hole) and therefore I presume it is for the small cars ........ so surplus to requirements and for sale.

The boss you are showing (the aluminium bit) looks as though it is the Formula type steering wheel as fitted to the Mk1 PI estate and the GT6 (don't know about others) though they had different size centres and plastic surround but use that square locating boss in the middle.  The boss could be for either car (depends upon its size and if the large one something I am looking for) but the plastic surround looks as though it has a horn push for the later small cars.

Don't know where the Dolomite range fit into this.

This is the best I can help you with I am afraid so hope someone will confirm I know more than I though I did ....... or tell me that what I have said is a load of bo**ocks ......... :-/

MUT

Thanks for your answer !
Maybe the question should have been :
what are the compatible steering wheels for each Triumphs ?
and what are the Triumph's boss compatibilities ?

EDIT : can someone with a better english reformulate my Questions ? ;-)
I'n not english ...

The late spitfire 1500 (not sure when) changed to the larger sized spline column. Same size as mini's and some dolomites, I have used one on my toledo which is a 1972 car, so that has teh larger size. However, I have heard mention that there are differences within the dolomite range, so I think it is all very confused.

best to find out what sized splined column you have, and work from there?

So the question is:

What size splined column for the steering wheel is used on my early stag. And which other cars use the same?

Put a post in the Stag section, with a title something about steering wheel fitments?

Hi Clive,
I don't own a Stag but a 1300TC ...
but got an early Stag steering wheel, 16 inch, that I wanted to put on my 1300TC.
I also wanted to keep the horn location, so wanted to fit a spit 1500 center to still have the horn ...
Does that make sense ?

Late spits have the horn on the indicator arm, so be careful. They are the ones with the larger splined column.
can you not have a measure up of you splines? at least compare with your herald. If he same as the herald let us know, but I think the stag uses the bigger splines. If the herald one is smaller I think you will be in luck. Probably!

Thanks for increasing my knowledge of steering column specs Clive  :)

Trubac if you have the wheel from the Stag, and you have the car that you want to fit it too, why not simply try the wheel on the column and see if it works.  It would appear you have only two choices - it will either go or it won't go.

Let us know how you get on.

MUT

You're right MUT ... but I'm not with the car ... only on WEs, so I'm trying to figure out things for when I'm there !

Clive: just realized (again lost in translation) that you talked about splin size and not column diameter.
my early Stag steering definetly got small splines, as I can't imagine them to be smaller !
So could be it !
Now, how to fix a horn in a Stag steering center ?

trubac wrote:
You're right MUT ... but I'm not with the car ... only on WEs, so I'm trying to figure out things for when I'm there !

Clive: just realized (again lost in translation) that you talked about splin size and not column diameter.
my early Stag steering definetly got small splines, as I can't imagine them to be smaller !
So could be it !
Now, how to fix a horn in a Stag steering center ?

I have a washer push  fitted on the dash, MOT bloke is happy with it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/301194247353?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

The Stag was effectively developed from the 2000 and has the same spec column ....... larger diameter (and more splines).  Would have thought this applied to all Stags so if your 1300 column is larger diameter would have thought you would be in luck (cannot imagine Triumphs having three diameter columns - but you never know ::) ).
MUT