rear hub end float

iomgt6

Hi all, I did search this subject and it came up on the Vitesse forum which I posted on, however asking fellow gt6 experts, gt6 mk3 1971, I am getting rid of the rotoflex converting to Rimmers CV drive shafts, Canley's alum vertical links, bearings and shims, as the spacers are now longer available I will have to use the ones I took off by thinning those as necessary with the shims, now my question is actually checking end float, am I correct in thinking that I need  to assemble the drive shafts to diff and vertical link with all bearings, brake back plate and hub, put a dial indicator on the face of the hub and check the end float, how, do you lever somewhere or pull the hub with your hands, surely by doing this you would be just moving the whole unit all over the place so to speak and not getting a true reading, also do I leave the grease out (hubs) until I know its right, confused on methods basically, thanks in advance of any help, Paul 

You can assemble it together on a bench before fitting to the car and check the end float, I've always set the bearings up first before fitting to the car.  I fix the dial gauge to the hub and check the end float against the backplate as in the picture below.   Make sure you assemble dry when you check the float, once you've greased the bearings you won't be able to measure.

So basically, assemble with the shims ( I use the Canley method to check what shims I need). Use a spare halfshaft nut, preferably one where the nyloc has worn so it does up and undoes easily or a plain nut, torque up to the setting with a torque wrench (can't remember what it is but it's tight!). Then check the end float, if it's too large add shims or larger distance piece, too small reduce shim or smaller distance piece. Re check, then once it's got the right float, take a\part, pack the bearings with grease and re-assemble torquing up to the correct setting.