If any "newbies" are doing this run as a " twosome", as I have done several times over the years, found it useful to do a list, in large letters, of the route covered overnight.This then allowed the navigator to try and have some kip. Good luck to all. Hope to see you at the Oakhampton stop. Malc.

There is an easier way to use a satnav for the route to find your way around if you're not technically gifted or use a satnav on a regular basis.

Using your favourites or my places on your satnav:

Set the start as 000 Knebworth.

Supposing the first control was at Wetherby:

Set your next point as 010 Wetherby.

Now you have to be a bit cute to set the next control at Carter Bar as your satnav will take you through Newcastle if you plot Carter Bar as your next point, so:

Set your next point as Tow Law, on the A68  015 Tow Law.

Now set the next control as 020 Carter Bar.

This will ensure that you take the correct route.

If you set each control as 010, 020, 030 etc. and insert points on the satnav to ensure you take the correct route or refuelling stops or driver change points as a number between the relevant control points  such as:  

120  Knockhill Control

123  Perth Refuel

125  Perth bypass

127  Dunkeld Driver Change

130  Skiath Control

Then you get the rough idea.

It's a simple system that's easy to use.

All you have to remember is to plot your route to the next point each time you've passed a point on the satnav route.

But, I would recommend, that you check out that the correct route is taken on the satnav long before you arrive at Knebworth.

Make sure your plotted route takes you the same route as in the RBRR Roadbook.

I've used this system before and it's easy to use during the event and easy to adjust if you get last minute information that a section of motorway, for example, is closed.

But, I repeat, check that your plotted route doesn't take you off route, or worse, avoids a control where you need a signature.

Jim.

Jim's suggestion is a very good idea irrespective of how good your route planning is, be it paper maps or Sat Nav. If you have the control points listed by number (01, 02 then name) they are easy to find on the SatNav & if anything delays you it makes it much easier to catch up without the additional stress of trying to work out the best route.

Happy Xmas to all entrants

H

Just make sure that you use three digits for you numbers i.e.  010, 020, 030, 040, 050, 060, 070, 080, 090, 100, 110, 120 and so on.

If you only use two digits, your satnav will sort them out and list them like this:

00  Start
01  Wetherby
10  Raglan
11  Okehampton
12  Lands End
13  Bude
14  Badgers Holt
15  Pimperne
16  Quainton
17  Finish
02  Carter Bar
03  Knockhill
04  Skiach
05  John O'Groats
06  Skiach
07  Stirling
08  Tebay
09  Gledrid

The route will, therefore, be out of order and you'll be scratching your sleep deprived head wondering where all your meticulously planned points have gone to on your satnav.

Been there, done that and had to start all over again.

Yes, it is a bit anal, but if you want it to work in the middle of the night, using three digits before the point of interest/control, then this is the best way to do it.

Jim.