Some of you may remember that my blue 2.5PI unfortunately expired 40 miles from John O'Groats with a broken rocker shaft. After many months of investigation by Southern Triumph Services (who rebuilt the engine), they have by chance found from their rocker shaft supplier that the shaft itself was incorrectly made. Apparently it was hardened to 16 rockwells instead of the factory spec of 60 rockwells.

If any of you have recently bought a new rocker shaft you may wish to check the hardness spec with your supplier. 

Nick J.

Yes they fixed the car after it was recovered back home and when they recently found out the real cause of the failure they replaced the rocker shaft again so that I had a properly hardened one fitted. I paid for none of the remedial work but I didn't spend a lot of money with them for the rebuild work prior to RBRR.

Send me a PM for more info on Southern Triumph

Nick J. 

• 2 months later...

My original rocker shaft, bought in 1986 from Unipart in a blue box marked Leyland Quality Parts, wore out in under 10,000 miles, and I mean wore out! It was scrap!
I replaced it with a USA sourced tuftrided item from Ted Schumacher at TSI in Columbus, Ohio.

I have seen way too many poorly heat treated engine parts in the UK, including cam followers, rocker shaft, alloy valve caps and valves.

That is why I am so wary now.

L

Hi Nick,

We remember you well! (the grey Mk1 2000 crew that stopped to dismantle your engine!)

Glad you got it all sorted out, fair play to STS.  That's one nice looking PI you've got there, was sorry that it had expired.  Got a Mk2 PI myself now, fun ain't they!

Regards

Mike!

Admittedly it only finished a major restoration 5 days before RBRR, so we were pushing our luck a bit. Shame it was such an odd failure and almost impossible to recover from. It's settled down nicely now and, when I'm not working on the GT6, I take it out for a good 20 mile blast now and then.

Thanks for stopping anyway. That's the RBRR spirit!

Archived