did not go to plan.....
started to miss on the way down to the plough. Left Plough still missing and getting worse so dropped into home and stole coil off Herald and bypassed 12V feed and got Little blue running ok.
Prop vibration was very bad making whole shake anything above 60. OD started to play up and could only work by pushing gear lever over to one side, I guess the inhibit switch on 3-4 was wroking loose. Eventualy OD would not go in at all.....

By this time we were very late and got to first check point second to last about 45 min after it should have closed. Unable to drive car faster than 50 mph we were lossing more and more time and the car becoming worse to drive. Eventaully gave up near Scotch corner at about 12.30. Limped home down the A1 at 40mph stupid thing to do as the lorries dont expect to see car driving slowly down the road in the early hours of the morning.

Really disappointed. I knew we should have taken the Herald...

mike and libby

Could not  leave it alone.. had to have a look this afternoon.. Car back on axle stands,
got gearbox cover off. OD switch sligthly loose which explains why we lost OD.
Rear gearbox mount has come un-bonded from rubber so nothing to stop rear of gearbox rattling around which probably explains why the vibration got worse. Wasnt like that when I fitted the  new propshaft on tuesday...
Prop shaft out ready to be returned to James Paddock for replacement on monday.

mike

tiggrr1 wrote:
Tough Luck Mike

Know how you feel :( :( :(

yep all a bit of a buggger, once the adrenaline stops you just feel very tired! Been down to pub this evening  to discuss the finer details of gearbox mounting with my wife (strange she was not very interested....), but after a few pints of 'old growler' it didnt seem to matter anymore!
We will try to go down to the Plough to see everyone return tomorrow evening.

mike and Libby

Archived