A little set back in prepping the log

One thing I wnated to sort before the RBRR was a bodge that the previous owner had done on one of the brake calipers. He'd stripped the thread on the bleed nipple and had forced a 10mm hex set screw  in the 3/8 unf tapped hole for the bleed nipple.

He had then bled the brakes by undoing the 10mm screw enough to let brake fluid leak out while someone else pumped the brakes, must have been a bit messy!

Anyway the brakes have been working fine and got through the last 2 MOTs like that but I didn't like the bodge and wanted it fixed before the run jsut in case I have to do any brake repairs on the road. I bought myslef a bleed nipple the next thread size up, 7/16 unf, and drilled and tapped out the hole to suit thinking that would be a good fix. However the bleed nipple won't seal so it looks like I'll need another caliper.

Most places have recon ones in stock but then I'll have to pay a surcharge as I doubt my bodged one will be acceppted in exchange but Mick Dolphin is listing them amongst his NOS at the same proce I'd have to pay for a recon (and considerably less than some traders like the the one beginning with "R"!) so I've emailed Mick to check if he actually does have one in stock. For the time being then the log is off the road but with 4 weeks to go to get a caliper I'm sure this can be sorted in plenty of time...

Type 14 but different to a Spitfire, the brake pipe feed is in a different place and I read that the mounting holes are a different distance apart.

Fitted to Dolomites, Toledos, 1500 RWDs, not sure about other cars.

If it turns out Mick Dolphin has got a NOS one as per his stock list it's only £35 which isn't too much to shell out, and I knew there was a risk that may happen whne I decided to try tapping it out larger and had budgetted that I may have to spend out on a new one...

32valves wrote:
If you get stuck Andy I can probably find you one suitable for exchange  ;)

Cheers Carl.

I'm having problems getting hold of Mick Dolphin either by phone or mail, but will persevere for a little longer as a NOS one for 35 quid is a bargain if he does have it still. As a back up plan I've been in touch with Canleys today and they are happy to supply a recon one with no exchnage if I pay the £20 surcharge, but if you have a tatty one that could be used to exchange that'd be good as it sould save me some cash :-)

It's the Left hand caliper thats bodged BTW.

If I do end up getting it from Canleys it would be good to have the exchnage one to give to Dave at the Driver's meet.

Toledo_Man wrote:
I've just replaced mine. I bit the bullet and ordered a pair from Wins & Co. £35 each plus £20 exchange surcharge per caliper, delivery & the dreaded VAT. Well worth every penny to have fully working brakes.

I spoke to Wins today and they want £65 plus VAT without an excchange, Canleys are £21 per caliper cheaper.

Recon caliper arrived today, while it was off I cleaned up the old wheel bearing and regreased, fitted the caliper and bled the brakes this evening, all back together now. I reckon I've got about 5 evenings or so of work to finish prepping the car so not too bad with 3 weeks to go. Looks like it will be mainly evenings though as I've got stuff on every weekend between now and the run...