Front suspension shims

mole42

This year I plan to get to grips with the thorny subject of those pesky shims that are often fitted between the front strut (Mk.1 is 305704) and the hub spider (209344) and what they are for and how to check which sizes are needed.

The Parts Book reveals that shims are used in 0.004" (140687) or 0.010" (140686) thickness, Rimmers have these parts listed. The Stag ROM suggests that the shim(s) are fitted to the top front bolt only, I can't find any mention of the shims in the 2000/2500/2.5 ROM that I have but I do remember from the many big saloons that I restored years ago the shims were often found on the lower two bolts.

I understood from conversations years ago (and I mean maybe 40 years ago!!) that the shims were only there to make up for tolerances between the machining of the strut and the spider. This is slightly hard to believe since not even the British car industry in the 60's made parts needing shims in 4 thou and 10 thou to correct it!

It seems likely, then, that the shims are there to set the correct camber which could be from 0º to +1¼º depending on year of manufacture and model.

It should be possible to mathematically determine the correct thickness of shim but I'm sure that somewhere there is a definitive document.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Richard