Which Cylinder Head?

Glenn

I've just helped my friend remove the engine from a scrap 2500S.  He wants to rebuild it to fast road spec.

Someone told him the "S" head was his best starting point.  However I always thought the PI head gave better performance because of the higher compression ratio and bigger exhaust valves.

I'd really appreciate any advice on his behalf.  Cheers, Glenn.

2500 S head is best... need a 0.075" skim to give PI compression but inlet ports are far superior to a PI head

Small exhaust are better (seats less prone to cracking and room for a bigger inlet where all the power is to be made.

Head number stamped above ports 1 and 2 should be 219016

see here  http://www.tr6.org/cylheads/index.html

Thanks Andy - that's superb information.  I've printed the article for my friend.  I'm now very jealous of his cylinder head!

I've got a 2000 TC with a rumbling bottom end.  The head is the 218225.  I think this one was in the 125bhp PI.  Any ideas how it flows?  It's the 3.4" height.

I've got the chance of a decent 2500 block.  It would be very handy if I could use this head.

Thanks again,
Glenn

Cheers Andy.  Once again that's really helpful.

I think in the short term I'm going to go for a quick, easy and cheap fix to get my TC running sweetly again.  Rather than get the crank ground on the 2000 engine (it's in a bad way) I'll fit the good PI block I've got lined up along with the existing 218225 TC head.  With the HS6 carbs I'd be hoping for 120ish bhp perhaps?

In the longer term for my "good" car I'll look out for a nice 219016 head to mate with its early PI block, have this skimmed down to 3.4", and perhaps indulge in a little cleaning up of the ports.  Oh and save up for a 6 into 3 into 1.

Incidentally the PI head I have is a 516816.  I'm assuming it's pretty much the same as the 218225.

All the best,
Glenn

Archived