TR5 Brake Master Cylinder

garyf

I May have to change a leaking Master Cylinder on my TR5

Has anyone fitted one of the Reproduction Master Cylinders?

I was talking with a trader at the N.E.C. Show Yesterday and he was able to supply me with a Repro Master Cylinder for £70 which I though was an excellent price, apparently they are made in Italy?

Another Trader I know who lives locally to me was able to offer me an exchange Re-conditioned original Master cylinder for £130, these are bored out sleeved in Stainless steel, re-sealed and refinished as new, he also had an original Girling Master Cylinder at £250!!

So whats the best option if I have to change it?

I'm thinking the Exchange reconditioned one may be the way to go, not sure of the Quality of the Repro ones and the N.O.S. one may have issues for all I know? (how long may it have been stashed away on a shelf, 40 Year old seals and rusty cylinder Bore maybe) ?.    

Sounds like TR tax in operation there!  

Are you talking brake or clutch?

Stainless sleeved is the way to go IMHO, to compare a more complex Stag dual circuit SS master is £144 so if you are talking brake master then £130 is probably not so far off, however if its a clutch then I'm not so sure that there is anything unique or expensive about them - a Britpart Landrover offering may look the same (albeit with plastic cap) and do the same job for under a tenner!

Quoted from thescrapman
Give Past Parts in Bury st Edmunds a ring.

See what they charge for a refurb of your original one.

Cheers

Colin

I've had this company recommended by someone on the TR-Register Site too Colin?

Had a look on the Website and they don't list the TR5 Master cylinder, so I've e-mailed them to find out how much to recon my old one if necessary, not 100% sure its leaking yet.

Thanks anyway

Gary

You're right, Gary, when you say that the NOS one could have rust in it. Been there, done that with a tandem brake cylinder, and had it resleeved for about AU$150.

If you fit a reproduction cylinder, check the smoothness of the bore. Some aren't well polished, and so can eat seals like a killer whale.

I'd shop around for a good price to get your original cylinder resleeved. Don't tell them it's for a TR and the price may come down, too!

Quoted from garyf

Had a look on the Website and they don't list the TR5 Master cylinder, so I've e-mailed them to find out how much to recon my old one if necessary, not 100% sure its leaking yet.

They are more "Old School", give them a ring.

Don't forget that the Internet is a new fangled thing in here in Suffolk.

I've had a Quote back off Past Parts of just over £100 plus V.A.T. & P&P, so around the £130 I've been quoted off the Local Guy?

I'm not 100% Sure yet if it is Leaking or if the PO Over-filled it, I know it's removed the Paint on the lower part of the brake Servo at the joint so it may be a leak , I need to keep an Eye on the level after a bit of use?

I'm planning on changing to Silicon Fluid, so will hold fire till I know for sure, I can then Change the Fluid at the Same time as the Master cylinder

I've heard via the TR Register Site that there where a number of dodgy Master Cylinders around that leaked a few Years ago, so who know if the one at £70 is one of the faulty ones?  

Quoted from thescrapman

Don't forget that the Internet is a new fangled thing in here in Suffolk.

Yup! When I was over that way a few years ago where I was living, the phoneline didn't even support touch-tone phones. Had to call premium rate lines for the energy providers, East Anglia Coal by Donkey Delivery Services, on my mobile... The phonebill cost more than the tuppence ha'penny of coal! 😉

• 3 weeks later...

Swopped the Brake Master cylinder today, ended up getting the Reconditioned one locally?

Also ended up swopping the Clutch Master and Slave cylinders too, over £200 all in all

Got my mate John to help with bleeding the brakes and put the new Silicone Fluid in too

Brake Pedal much firmer now, but the clutch is still heavy , normal for a TR apparently?

Found a couple of other small jobs to do, I seem to spend more time tinkering than driving!!