leaking master cylinder

little red

Can anyone offer any advice?  67 triumph herald 1200 convertable.

I've had it stood in the garage for a couple of months.  When I came to drive it again, I had no clutch.  Inspection reveals fluid from master cylinder all over the bulk head.  Do I need to replace or is there anything else I can try?

Any suggestions greatfully received!!

None out of ten cylinders will re-seal OK. Those that won't will have obvious signs of damage in the bores. While it's apart, check the condition of the main spring. It's not going to cause a leak, but they have often work-hardened about 1/3 of the length from the botom end of the bore. Worth spending a few quid on a new spring, part number 106156,
Cheers,
Bill.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi
Re master cylinders, I went through all this with my 13/60 Estate in April, fortunately I got it sorted before the wettest-ever North Yorks Triumph Weekend in May. Usual type of thing, brakes worked fine but pedal would sink to floor when I pushed it down hard. Bought new seal kit from Canley, it wouldn't fit as someone had fitted a 3/4" master cyl to the car, correct one is 5/8". "Bet the brakes were awful" said the Canley man. Yes they were I said but I thought Herald brakes were supposed to be that bad, it having been 8 long pining years since I'd driven one. Anyway I ended up buying a new cyl from them for £50 (as usual there was an genuine new old stock one on Ebay for less money the day after mine arrived), it did fit & does work but the reservoir is a plastic affair, is angled forward but worse, its neck is too big for any of the standard Eezibleed caps. The thread looks the same as the aluminium Vitesse cap but I tried one and it doesn't fit. In order to use the Eezibleed I had to part with another £20 for an adaptor kit with a cap that is held on by straps & hooks which works after a fashion.

Archived