Herald rear tub panels

Neilriser

Hi to all,i have now worked my way to the boot area of my rebuild,and approached the area i always new would be the most difficult? there are two small panels [1xlh,1xrh] they fix either side of the rear lights,they have always been a major rust spot they show in the parts book as no35-802815 and no36-802814 they are indicated as panel side trunk.,i know these small panels are no longer available but does any one have any suggestions,there are companies that say they can make any panel,has anyone had any made and if so where? many thanks

When I was doing Toby's bodywork, I fabricated the equivalent panels by hammer forming. Assuming you haven't yet chopped anything up...

Get a lump of hardwood as long, wide and deep as the panel. By carefully offering it up and prograssively carving bits away, turn it into a mould that fits snugly. Now get a piece of sheet steel and a big vice. Clamp the steel to the hardwood former and hammer it over and around, again using a slow but steady, progressive approach. Add clamps as needed and hammer into all the indents. Then slide your newly fabricated repair panel off the former and weld it in place. Simples. 😀