Not looking for places as I know there are none but I was just wondering if there is a definitive list of runners and riders with their  fate on - ie what happened to the cars, did they drop out, where and why, did they make it to the end but not officially complete the run due to lack of signatures or did they make it round and receive a finisher's plate?
It would be good to see the fate of ever crew.

James, James, James, the point is there are no checkpoint times. If you were anything like us you would have been filling up with fuel, eating and talking before even thinking about getting books signed. Or indeed, hanging around behind to give an excuse to overtake people on the way back up the road.

Remember ... it's not a race  ;D

Well it's alright for those who have some horsepower... I would have loved to have hung about waiting for overtaking victims... but my Spit doesnt quite have enough power to do that... next year though... next year... monster engine is on its way...

[quote by=Greeks link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,v=display,m=1097133495,s=4 date=1097147210]GigGleR ... we're all ears![/quote]

*Sigh* okay, first upon leaving the plough team 59 (that was me and my rough looking buddy Brian in my TR4) took a wrong turn and ended up 30 miles further down the A1 than we were supposed to be :B at the same time team 60 (that was my father and our friend Karl in my fathers Vitesse mk2) lost, of all things, a wiper arm. So we both met up at Peterbourgh services already half an hour behind the pack.

Then, coming out of Corbridge, my light started flickering on and off (thanks to whoever it was that stopped to help by the way!) so we stopped thought we'd fixed them only to have them go out completely around the next bend! stopped again and found that the engine compartment fuse set was Futzed. So we ran a wire straight from the battery through a fuse so I had at least got some headlights.

All this, however cost us a lot of time. When we got to JoG we were an hour and a half behind and the vitesse had started to develop a rather nasty tappet rattle. We decided to pack up there and class it as a learning attempt for the 10CR next year  ;D It took us 15 hours to get home, including an hour and a half sat trying to get across the forth bridge and me nearly burning my bloody hand off when the tr4 overheated on the same.

Still, while we may have failed this time, its not going to stop us trying again!!!

I'll see you in Enfield next september, don't you worry about that ;D

GigGleR that is a shame such a unlucky chain of events scuppered you. James and me thought it was game over in Owestry when we were 1hr 45mins behind but luckily didn't suffer many mechanical issues other than a reluctant clutch.

I guess every event like this is a learning experience and lady luck will play a big part regardless.

I had the mind set whereby I wouldnt get ruffled by anything mechanical that couldnt be fixed... I wasnt going to get upset over something that was going to break just because its number was up.

I would however have got upset if I didnt have the relevant spare (within reason) (spares? ho hum!) - or we did something ourselves to kill it.

Dale "is that really a Herald?" Barker has an interesting 1500 road set-up James. It has the same 'ingredients' as the bus, and I can certainly vouch for its pace as it was keeping up well with us (even though on that section we were running without an oil filler cap, due to an unnamed co-driver's sheer excitement to get back on the road).

No doubt you've already got lots of plans, but I thoroughly recommend the drivability of a torquey set-up rather than all out crazy revs,  for the road at least.

I don't think giving out arrival times and reasons for not finishing make the RBRR out to be a competitive event. 

Unless, from the times, it can be calculated that a crew must have been doing one helluva speed to travel between the two controls.  That may not look too good.

No doubt there will some who will be out with their calculators.

So publishing times is maybe not a good idea after all.

However, reasons for not finishing and comments on the crews progress through the event would be welcome to browsers and those, like me, who followed the event on the website.

It's a bit like the Le Mans 24 hour race.  You end up wondering where the cars, you were supporting, disappeared to during the night.

[quote by=Greeks link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,v=display,m=1097133495,s=10 date=1097149552]Yeah, bad luck. I don't like the sound of the journey home!
[/quote]

You don't like it? you wanna try driving it! we figured it would probably take us about 10 hours to get home when we were at JoG. and ended up swearing quite violently on the Forth bridge when the water erupted out of the expansion tank because I'd not allowed it enough time to cool :P

still, like most things in life, its another lesson learned! :D

Cheers Tim, it would be good to see why people dropped out from a preparation point of view - I mean we always take a spare water pump as that's the only failure Dave has had (the Stretch excluded) but in order to build up an idea of what actually does go wrong rather than the Nigel Gair approach of " unless it's a crown wheel failure, I have the spares" - he was our saviour though :-)
As for times - if they existed I would dispute them  >:( There's no way we want the run from Oswestry to Gordano timed, no way at all - did someone say terminal velocity? I don't think every control took them down anyway, it's not a race you know James (But if you were 1hr 45 late then you missed that control and therefore you didn't complete the run and as we all know the Stag cheated that makes us first!)  :o Only joking! I couldn't give a toss what the final positions were, I had a blast on this Reliability Run  ;D

Archived