how many breakdowns - be honest about it!

I'll kick off - car 110.

7 actual breakdows attributed to 4 mechanical faults and a puncture! Yes, we did actually make it to the Plough. ;D

Oil pipe to pressure guage snapped in Scotland (heading North). As it was dark, I didn't see the pressure going down so the warning light (ultra bright red LED - would recommend!) was first I knew. Removed T-piece and refilled with oil (good thing I have 4.5l, not 1!). Luckilly, no damage.

Puncture 70miles from Perth - fixed with tyreweld for 1/2hour then that too failed - quickly!
Fitted 18 year old spare. No visible sign so must be becuase of having inner tubes (I have wire wheels).

Starter motor wire snapped at Conan bridge out of crimp/ring connector (why did I tie that wire to the loom 5000miles ago). Carefully re-used connector but couldn't clamp it tight enough so wire came out and had to be put back in whenever we stopped.

Somewhere after Conan bridge, ignition key stopped working in the "on" position. It did however work 1/2 way between on and off. Just had to slowly turn the key until the ignition light came on!

Alternator bolt (the long pivot one) sheared somewhere after Glendrid. Fixed with 6mm studding that had to be cut with swiss army knife hacksaw lol! I'd done it up way to tight in a eurotrip bodge to replace a snapped alterator tie rod.

Fixed starter wire with borrowed molegripps (thanks) at Dartmoor stop.

After Pimperne, the key trick stopped working. The pin on the back was wobbly so I got a zip tie round the pins and tightened it until the pin was at the angle where it worked!

And we never used reverse because it blows the fuse at the moment!

Only one fault, however, can be attributed to Triumph design/engineering - the key problem!

The pressure guage was a rubbish aftermarket (on when I bought car),
I'd stupidly tied the starter cable back,
the puncture was from using tubeless tyres with tubes,
the alternator bolt I'd done up too tight in a eurotrip bodge and
the reverse is probably due to my shorting out (and destroying) the overdrive loom in Europe.

So anyway, hall of shame. How many breakdowns?

Car 58.

Nothing that actually stopped us driving at the time, but did have to put a wire back on the starter solenoid after it came off somewhere between stirling and Lancaster.  :)

Also had do the same for the brake light switch at Edinburgh and replaced a plug lead at Bude. Other than that, no issues.  8)

Archived