Good advice James.  I had a wheel come of my V8 FHC on the M6 (at about 80mph).  Was a very lucky boy as it remained in the flared arch while I came to a stop on the hard-shoulder.  No harm done, apart from a soiled bucket seat.  I took a bolt off each of the other wheels, re-attatched it and was on my way.  Tend to check them more frequently now though  ;)

Malcolm.

They were scarily loose - I don't think I had ever done so many miles without removing the wheels for some reason or another! Moral of the story; 2000 miles makes your nuts loose - at least it did mine!

Next time I think I'll bring my battery pack and my electric impact wrench - check them all over in a minute flat...

Not really sure how you check them apart from taking the hub to bits and crack testing... I know it's a rare occurence but it did scare the s**t  out of me especially after all that thrashing around the highlands in Nige's 2000.... he is actually thinking of converting to a different hub... if the LH side goes it makes an awful mess of the exhaust....

My car stopped just short of shaving off the nuts for the rear shock.... brake cylinder and back plate were buggered...  :-/

Reeksy,
This can also happen to the Vitesse/GT6 rear hubs, my mate Jon had a rear offside wheel and hub come off on the A30 near Sparkford at 50mph, backwards up a bank, smashing the rear end up. Nice car that had been used for sprinting and hillclimbing up until that fateful moment, sold car to the (in)famous Tony Lindsay-Dean.  JBP 79H maroon conv. where are you now?
So also think about your GT6 and AJP's mk.3 as well.
Tim

My neigbour brought a very nice fully restored stag £8500 . 2nd trip out off side front wheel sheared off . Axel had compleatly sheared not to mention the garden wall he hit . Yet this was a new part he wasnt very happy .

RAY J

Wheel and drum ended up bouncing down the road into a small river but luckily didn't hit anyone coming the other way....
Del, now my wife!, managed to retrieve it whilst I phoned for some spares.... My mate was following about 2 hours behind and brought the required bits... we were back on our way in about 3.5 hours...

Archived