Publicity for 2005

Raider

I have just read an article in the Sunday Times called "Fantasy drive in a Ferrari".

It concerns a guy driving a brand new Ferrari through Germany and Switzerland back to the factory at Maranello. This is prime 10CR country but this guy needed an overnight after 9 hours driving ::)

Anyway, I have e-mailed the Sunday Times to tell them about the 10CR and say that their reporter would be welcome on the 10CR providing he uses a Triumph rather than a Ferrari! :o

I also attached our 2003 press release and some photos along with links to the website and this forum - I wonder if we'll get a response ??) Can't do any harm tho8)

Attached is the 2003 press release for info.  

Sorry to come over all negative, but for the RBRR we sent out Press Releases to about 15 publications on 3 sep. occassions. I believe we have only had about 3 mentions.
Also what about Triumph World, I wrote to Tony Beadle inviting him to the start, did not hear anything. Maybe I should have rang him up.
On a positive side Classic Cars mag. will have a lenghty 4 page article about the event in the Jan issue, Comes out early Dec.

No publicity at all wouldn't be a big problem for me  :o

The only downside would be not reaching more people and giving them the chance to learn about the event and enjoy themselves by taking part - that's what it is all about for me.

I think word of mouth will bring in enough people anyway, a gradual increase in participation would be fine 16 last time, 30 this time, 60 next etc etc.

• 3 weeks later...

As a 'non-competitive' (- but otherwise enthusiastic) Triumph owner and Club Member, and with all due respect to the views expressed previously, I have to say (as Club PRO) "it pays to advertise"!  If Keith is prepared to set up a section on the website for 05 10CR - similar to the excellent one for 04 RBRR - this will be wonderful from my point of view in terms of being able to give the Press access to material from which they can pick and choose according to editorial preference.
Tim B. knows full well that our 04 RBRR 'post-event' Press Release (with links to the website) was very popular with the Classic Press.  My fault was that I hadn't caught on to this when the 'pre-event' Press Releases went out!  But I've got the message now!!
The Press can give us a much wider exposure to the public (some of whom must be Triumph owners [or wannabees?] than we can achieve within the Club.  So let's take advantage of this, whenever we've got something newsworthy.

It can only be good for Club Triumph! ;D

We don't have a press officer but Charles Colvin (Chuck the truck) is "Public Relations officer".

By the way Charles - we do have a section on the website for the 10CR - just look at the top of this page :D

I will be discussing the whole area of publicity at the next committee meeting in December.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, Martin -  thanks.
Keep me in touch with what you want to do - publicity-wise.

I've had a brief look at the 05 10CR website - I hadn't noticed it before as my browser displays the top-of-page links as dead black on dark blue . . . very difficult for me old eyes to squint at, y'know.  ::)

A library of pix from the 2003 trial event would be useful for pre-event press releases . . .?

Look forward to hearing from you in due course . . .  ;D

• 3 weeks later...

Given the Cannonball nonsense why don't we invite M+M or Top Gear to accompany the 10CR. I don't know how that sort of thing works, maybe they sub out to a small production company and we could contact them instead. I know on the TSSC there is a guy that makes videos, could we cram him and his gear in a saloon? Just what the Stretch was made for?

Is it Sept yet, is it, is it?

Don,

With respect could you really imagine Clarkson up for such an event! No, he'd rather do doughnuts in a Vanquish at Dunsfold Aerodrome and make silly faces and talk with silly accents. I feel that he would very condescending to such an event as the 10CR.
M&M might be interested, maybe Greeks could contact the guy who did the MG MGB v GT6 programme may be interested? Graham- Do you have his details?
Hopefully one or two writers from the classic car press will be taking part.

I could try and track them down - Daisybeck productions in Meanwood, Leeds. However as far as I could tell the director was freelance and moved around a bit from company to company. Let me know if you want me to hunt them down, I only really know the researchers.

I actually think going direct to M&M would be best, as they presumably commission this kind of thing - I know they did a Plymouth/Dakar show.

I believe Ashley has already been working on things talking to press and TV about his car, etc. so he might have some contacts. Tim, I guess you know how to get hold of Ashley?

Archived