SMS message diary - plans?

Jason

I've sorted out a few bugs with the GPS spotted by Jason - Mr Chinn appears to be on another planet, or at least he's using a different GPS system to everyone else - not sure which.

Teams with access to a GPS unit can send an SMS text message starting gps followed by a space, followed by the x coordinate, followed by a space, followed by the y coordinate, followed by the rest of your message. This will create an entry in the diary with a link to map that will pin point your location anywhere.

To give you an idea of the units of scale, your x coordinate should be between -13 and 28, and your y coordinate between 34 and 60. This pretty much covers most of Europe.

http://www.canleyclassics.com/10crmap.asp

Quoted from Spitfire4 I've sorted out a few bugs with the GPS spotted by Jason - Mr Chinn appears to be on another planet, or at least he's using a different GPS system to everyone else - not sure which.

There were several settings on our GPS systems (yes we had 2 and neither worked properly!) There's degrees and minutes, decimals etc - leading zeros get dropped and then there's decimals and commas - far too complicate for me and everyone else it seems, only one other team managed to get it right, apart from Craig.

That said it was a good idea and I'll persevere with the GPS kit, once I get better acquainted I'll work it out ;-)

Yup i take it I was that other team, it was all about setting up the gps to show the longitude and latitudes in degrees expressed in decimals, remebering that at least in the gps i had that they show east and west, and so if you're west of gmt, you need to put a minus sign in front of the longitude.

To all the crews using tomtom, to change the units, go to change preferences, across a couple of screens to set units, where you can change the speed shown to Kilometers, always useful down italian motorways. For the gps, it needs to be degrees (d.d) selected.

Well it also depends on which units you use, as i think that Tomtom and others offer different ways of showing the coordinates. You can get degrees, ie the plough would be: 0.10033 51.68342, or minutes which would be 0[sup]o[/sup]6'1.1880"  51[sup]o[/sup]41'0.3120" and if you try sending in the minutes version i think that the computer won't recognise them as valid coordinates.

Anyway i thought it was a great idea, and i know that my friends back home liked tracking my progress around the map. Next time i'll try and send more texts with gps coordinates in them.

Just a quick note to let everyone know that the Message Diary will CLOSE for new messages at the end of Thursday 15th September.  No new messages will be added, but the diary will remain available for viewing purposes only.

Thanks to everyone who supported the Message Diary - over the course of the event we received over 300 messages.

http://www.canleyclassics.com/10crdiary

Craig

On the subject of the GPS co-ordinates (and its lack of idiotproofness) perhaps use could be made of the web sites that allow you to track mobile phones and return co-ordinates of where they are.

If phones are registered the website could be interrogated every 2 or so hours and the returned co-ordinates displayed on the map.

Would save idiots like me getting it wrong and it would produce a very detailed movements map.

Cheers

Colin

Archived