SMS message diary - plans?

Jason

Is there any intention to re-run this excellent service for the '05 10CR? I know it doesn't look like either Craig nor Dave are playing this year (entry hasn't closed yet so never say never) but I could ask if it could be resurrected again for this year? I don't know what it took in terms of resource but if we don't ask then we sure won't get.

Quoted from Jason I was chatting to James on-line a few minutes ago and he said they have a cunning plan - good news. Craig won't crew with me as he can't take the excitement :-)

'Excitement' ! What sort of 'excitement' ? You never said anything about 'excitement'. Oh my God I'd better phone the insurers now.  ;)

All I can say is driving with Jason is ALWAYS eventful, where shall I start...

<li>Falls asleep at the wheel, veers completely off the motorway taking three or four marker posts with him...
    </li> <li>Wraps car around a petrol pump at 5 mph...
    </li> <li>Gets pulled doing 85mph by a cop car on a near empty M40 on a Sunday morning...
    </li> <li>Swears by sat. nav. that lead us into a HUGE traffic jam on the M1 (we weren't even going to London)...
    </li> <li>Need I go on...
    </li> </ul>
    Good luck Carl...

Quoted from Spitfire4 All I can say is driving with Jason is ALWAYS eventful, where shall I start...
    Good luck Carl...

Hey, I like to make life interesting but LOL - oh how the story grows

<li>It's a fair cop, the crew was asleep, I was bored so I joined them in a little nap - there was only one marker post but it did fly!

</li> <li>Even Dave who built the Stretch did the same thing, it's hard handling 22 foot of Herald in a foreign petrol station with a bus load of Germans watching

</li> <li>M40 speeding - what can I say, neither of us saw the copper even though we'd passed him - having followed a Gingell piloted Saab at over 100 mph I don't think you're renown for your sedate driving either ;-)

</li> <li>I don't remember the traffic jam thing - yet another episode when I was ferrying you about perhaps?
      </li> </ul>

That which does not kill us can only make us stronger

Mind you - travelling in Gingell cars is also often eventful

Staying on topic....
      Nice one - it's a really good way to keep the folk back home updated on what's happening and is much cheaper for the crews - you don't have to phone/text several people, you just text one number!

• 3 weeks later...

I hope this gets set up OK Craig ;)

Just spent a few minutes reading the last one on Canley's site - the following quote really put me back in the 10CR mood

"Great roads, good lamps, Carnival de Paris on the stereo, TR7 going great, Matt trying to keep speed down! Got a Triumph? Why aren't you with us?!"

• 1 month later...

After suffering a few gremlins in the system (namely Vodafone screwing up picture messages), we now have the 10CR Message Diary fully up and working.

http://www.canleyclassics.com/10crdiary.asp

Last time we experienced spam messages in the Diary so I won't repeat here how to send messages to the Diary - as Don says, it's all in the road book.

As well as supporting SMS text message, MMS picture messages, and emails with photo attachments, this year we have support for GPS mapping. Teams with access to a GPS unit can send an SMS text message starting gps followed by a space, followed by the x coordinate, followed by a space, followed by the y coordinate. This will create an entry in the diary with a link to map that will pin point your location anywhere.

http://www.canleyclassics.com/10crmap.asp

Please feel free to test either the SMS/MMS/email or GPS before you go, so you can be sure it's all working according to plan.

If anyone has any problems, let me know.

See you all on Thursday....

Craig

On the last 10CR this worked really well and allowed us to keep lots of people updated without running up a big phone bill - if you're using text messages only it's really quite cheap, well it is when compared to your fuel bill :-)

Craig, I can see all the technobabble on the GPS coordinates bubble - your says "<div style='width:280px; text-align:left; font-family: verdana, arial; font-size: 8pt; font-weight: normal;'>Car 36 : Triumph Vitesse Mk.1<br>Craig Gingell / James Carruthers
      06-Sep-2005, 3:38pm</div>"

Your telephone number will only appear if you didn't provide Martin with your mobile number, or you've changed mobile since. To register your mobile send the following to the phone number quoted in the road book -

register 11

and that will register your mobile for team 11, and then your telephone number won't appear.

Archived