10CR- What was learnt?

Tim Bancroft

Dean,
I can reassure you - a paint stripping heat gun doesn't work on cars!  I've tried!
Wood is a poor heat conductor, so the heat stays in the paint film, which melts, shrivels and can be scraped off.  On metal, the heat is conducted away fast,so the paint doesn't heat up as much.

This is not to say that you can put a heta gun onto your paintwork with impunity, so easy goes it.
JOhn

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course with the RBRR,it has always been ' Just keep going' or 'Don't open the bonnet'[/quote]

If you do any of the above just pray that you break down near Wick and meet a very lovely Scotsman called John, ;D then expect to have him as a passenger in your car for the next 3hours :D whilst you find an original Standard Triumph Rocker arm still in its brown paper/box

Or you could break down on the M6 and hope that 2 very lovely Cumbrian Traffic Police help you fit your fuel pump in the rain ::)

I've just rembered why I didn't want to do RBRR 2006,  :-/

I only use the paint stripper. I am very careful in its useage. Like i said, in the wrong hands it will just remove the paint!!!!!!!!!
But also only on metal, i would have to agree that wood would be totaly different.

John, shame that you dissappeared on the sunday, i could've sorted you out with a garage and a drier for your clothes.

Dean.

• 2 weeks later...

Dean,
Apologies - only just seen your message.  Thank you for that very kind offer, even in retrospect!

Jon and I agree that the awful warnings we were given before the event were awfully true.    But that was the fault of the weather.  Given sunshine or at worst dry but cloudy, we would have had a much better time.

Personally, I think that this macho driving through the night thing has its pleasures in the differences from normal daytime driving, but should be done no more than once per trip.      Maybe I'm too old!

John

Archived