10CR- What was learnt?

Tim Bancroft

All,

What did you learn about the event? This is not how you feel the event should be changed, more what you would do differently next time.

I learnt that:
a) Buy the best octane fuel you can find and add octane booster.
b) Do not take so many spares, reduce weight in the car
c) Think about staying in Hotels next time- not so much for the quality of kip, more owing to the space camping gubbins take.
d) Revert back to a 2 man crew- more involvement and driving.
e) Study the maps and work out in advance alt. routes.
f) Travel in a group of other cars- more fun.
g) Get better spot lights: Cibie Oscars next time
h) Drive harder
i) Ditch silicone brake fluid and fit Stag brakes
j) More power
k) Might well use the GT6 next time as more agile for the mountains. Also as space is at a premium, one does not need to take the kitchen sink!
l) Remember how simple and rugged these old Triumphs are.

Personally I think the event is more or less ok ( Simply put the event is about driving- it totally succeeds in this aim), I will send Martin my thoughts.

Anyone else learn anything?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

n) Disregard weather forecast of nice sunny days ahead, and ditch the fridge, useless waste of space.
o) Don't waste 2+ hours standing by triumphs at a Toyo tuning day when we could of been blasting round the ring.
p) Eat more at restaurants, as by the sunday there was plenty of free time, and it would of been nice to have spent an hour or two a day having a decent meal.
q) not to follow a red TR7 that was pushing a legal 90+ mph on the italian motorways
r) Most importantly have fun, it was a very enjoyable event with lots of like minded people.

probably lots more to follow

s) is for Susa - careful on the brakes coming in to this town. There's a very nice pizzeria here too - not to mention a fantastic value hotel.
t) is for Turin - which has a fantastic automobile museum - well worth a couple of hours - not to mention the location of the Italian Job - not to mention being important regards the styling of Triumphs! Michelotti had his studio there...

[quote by=timbancroft61 link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,m=1127124131,s=0 date=1127124131]All,

What did you learn about the event? This is not how you feel the event should be changed, more what you would do differently next time.

I learnt that:
a) Buy the best octane fuel you can find and add octane booster. - Agreed - shame I didn't see that 100 octane stuff
b) Do not take so many spares, reduce weight in the car - again agreed
c) Think about staying in Hotels next time- not so much for the quality of kip, more owing to the space camping gubbins take. - Definitely agreed, although Sunday was fine (campbed a must).
d) Revert back to a 2 man crew- more involvement and driving. - May be, but we had a good laugh and it does make it a bit safer.
e) Study the maps and work out in advance alt. routes. - Think this one is key... getting the maps early would definitely help, then it's up to everyone to plan for themselves. We would have been OK apart from my SatNav not understanding that it did have a German map installed... still not managed to suss that one !!
f) Travel in a group of other cars- more fun. - Absolutely (and can share the navigating)
g) Get better spot lights: Cibie Oscars next time. - Should have been on last time, will definitely be on before the RBRR2006
h) Drive harder - (note to self, pack more oil if driving even harder !!)
i) Ditch silicone brake fluid and fit Stag brakes - Good old Girling DOT4 - to be honest, we were running standard brakes with Mintex pads and as you know, we were OK... they got a little hot on Friday, but Saturday it took in it's stride. I'm looking for a vented upgrade to help with heat dissipation - will keep you posted...
j) More power - Hmmmm, think you better have another run in the Bus to make a comparison.
k) Might well use the GT6 next time as more agile for the mountains. Also as space is at a premium, one does not need to take the kitchen sink! - I've got one word to say... HEAT !!!
l) Remember how simple and rugged these old Triumphs are. - Yep and how easily stupid owners can dent the doors :B

Personally I think the event is more or less ok (Simply put the event is about driving- it totally succeeds in this aim), I will send Martin my thoughts.

Anyone else learn anything?[/quote]

Have added my comments to yours above Tim...

I know a lot of people enjoyed Sunday evening and would like to see a stop evey evening (apart from possibly the first when people are relatively fresh). I can see the sense as it allows people to catch up and start on an even keel each day. Would it take out some of the adventure ???  Hmmmm :-/

[quote by=jcarruthers link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,m=1127124131,s=1 date=1127124464]m) Eat well

Lots more - will have a think
[/quote]

James, you had better get a 2000 before the next 10CR... the amount you're eating of late, you'll be the size of a house !!! :P

Z) is also for Zombie after living in my car for 5 days

Dont think this a record as I recall a "Lady of the Street" who  lived in her MkII ford consul for 17 years.
So the 10 CR would be a bit namby pamby for her, anyone short of a navigator 10CR 2007? 

The things I've learned:

* Club Triumph is a bunch of very friendly and enthusiastic people
* A mk1 Saloon is a very pretty car... Where can I find a LHD one????
* France is a beautifull country, shame there live so many French
* It's more fun driving in a group together with other cars
* Yokohama's A032R even grip in the snow
* Selling the GT6 because I wouldn't fit into it anymore is not a legal excuse!!
* Listening to a Sprint engine on Webers gets anoying after many many hours on a German autobahn, next time I  bring earplugs (or Ipod)

And something I always knew......... Get out there and use your Triumphs, that's what they are made for!!!!!!!!!!

Lessons learnt...

i)  not get stuck in Switzerland, or was it Italy.
ii)  not bother taking so many clothes, 1 set seemed to suffice,
iia) buy air freshener for car.
iii)  Would have been good to have had more convoys/meetings en-route.
iv)  2 seater would have meant more driving, best solution is pre-plan a couple of 2 seaters convoying with a 4 -seater containg a couple of backup drivers.
v)  take more  pictures (and learn how to use new camera before going....
vi)  eat more food when opportunities arose.
vii)  practise sleeping on a hammock outside in a hurricane force gale, that should simulate the back seat of a dolomite quite effectively.

That will do for tonight....

Colin

As I have said to Tim and possibly Martin too, I think the run is basically all there, it just needs polishing. My ideas would be to actually recce some places for  stops rather than guessing from a map then turning up at 4 in the morning to sweet FA !!
Having less passes and maybe spliting up the Saturday night joint up the autobahns.
Oh, and a campsite without stones in the floor. There looked to be some really nice ones by Lake Maggiore. Other than that, I can't think of anything else.......Oh except as nice as the inside was, and as good as the breakfast was, I am not staying on a pig farm again !! Freshly showered and breakfasted up I took a strole outside to have my first puff of the day and nearly blew chunks !!!
The lunch stop at Lesa HAS to be included again though, please.
Regards
David.

[quote by=val1300 link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,m=1127124131,s=13 date=1127164949]Freshly showered and breakfasted up I took a strole outside to have my first puff of the day and nearly blew chunks !!!
[/quote]

This was nothing to do with beer consumption the night before ???  :B

Can highly recommend the Andy Mac 3.5 V8 EFI Rover SD1 engine 5 speed  for plenty of torque on those alpine hills and also the stag calliper conversion for the front breaks to provide efficient (non overheating) breaking on the long hairpin downhill sections.
Paul

Don't use borrowed Sat Nav kit or sftware you're not familiar wih - it lulls you into relying on it then falls over just when you need it most! We never got lost but when we were on the paper maps I felt a LOT better (and I've had Sat Nav in cars for the last 5 years). Next time I think goo quality navigation and a 2 man crew could be good - the Vitesse suspension might not take the weight of too much kit but like Colin says, we took far too much stuff we didn't need this time, spares and personal kit included!

To Mr Ellis, no this was not to do with alcohol consumption the night before. I only had about four beers, at most. No, the reason was the very strong pong, originating from all the pigs rear ends. Cor dear, I'm telling you, you could write your name in it !!
Thanks again matey, for all your help.

Our TomTom worked flawlessly - it was misinterpretation of the first instruction it gave us in France that made us go totally the wrong way, never to catch up anyone for the rest of the weekend. :B

It got us through Turin during crazy Italian rush hour (lunchtime or so) easily even when we had to take a different direction due to road works.

TomTom (or Tom as we nicknamed him) was the third person in our crew... doesnt eat or take up space, or complain... or smell... brilliant...

[quote by=Jason link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,m=1127124131,s=18 date=1127232816]Don't use borrowed Sat Nav kit or sftware you're not familiar wih - it lulls you into relying on it then falls over just when you need it most! We never got lost but when we were on the paper maps I felt a LOT better (and I've had Sat Nav in cars for the last 5 years). Next time I think goo quality navigation and a 2 man crew could be good - the Vitesse suspension might not take the weight of too much kit but like Colin says, we took far too much stuff we didn't need this time, spares and personal kit included![/quote]

[quote by=Jason link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,m=1127124131,s=18 date=1127232816]Don't use borrowed Sat Nav kit or sftware you're not familiar wih - it lulls you into relying on it then falls over just when you need it most! We never got lost but when we were on the paper maps I felt a LOT better (and I've had Sat Nav in cars for the last 5 years). Next time I think goo quality navigation and a 2 man crew could be good - the Vitesse suspension might not take the weight of too much kit but like Colin says, we took far too much stuff we didn't need this time, spares and personal kit included![/quote]

Jase, what exactly was too much in the way of spares ? Compared to the RBRR and indeed most of my daily driving, the only extras were a second spare gallon of fuel and a set of clutch hydraulics. The whole lot hardly made any impression on the suspension whatsoever. I think that if the three of us stood on the scales we'd see where the real weight savings could be made  ;D

Archived