10CR- What was learnt?

Tim Bancroft

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely if we add more stops we will lose the idea of the 10cr ,which was to replicate the distance and endurance factor of the RBRR,but on eoropean roads,it will end up some namby pamby tour if we keep stopping.
I def think we ought to keep the meal stop at Lesa,certainly after one of the night stops ,that way we will all get there together within a two hour period.
A few less mountains [altough they were all optional,you do feel that you ought to do them as there on the route]
Def Nurbergring again so that those of us who didn't do it can do and those that did will,i'm sure ,love to do it again
Personally we did try to do toomuch of the route so missed out on some of the fun bts like stelvio and the ring ,but then again with my diff as it was i probably would have blown it round the ring somwhere so i would have been a bit sick not to have finished
The barbie on the sun was a great idea ,a chance to swop stories and stock up on hot food

Personally I feel we already have one superb endurance event - the RBRR. If you want to just drive for 48 hours as an achievement then thats the event.

The 10CR is more difficult as its on european roads, its also on a par with the RBRR - 24 hours driving then another 36 the next day... there is more culture and sights to take in also. I love all those Alpine passes and the real hard driving - but who wants to push hard or really enjoys themselves when they are half asleep at the wheel? I don't want to drive by a load of lovely Italian restaurants because I know I wont be served for 2 hours and therefore don't have time as I am on such a tight schedule.

I want to arrive at the Nurburgring fresh and awake so I can drive hard and concentrate on what Im doing. What's the point in being there unless you are going ot attack it? It's not a touring holiday after all...

I don't think having another stop is making it more namby pamby - if anything its concentrating the driving so we can really go for it. On the 10CR it felt like we were driving with no purpose - or the next meet up point was so far ahead it didnt matter. Unlike the RBRR where you are always less than 250 miles away from the next stop and have something to aim for - which feels purposeful and encouraging.

The idea of this club is to get people out there and driving - I think by having another serious endurance event we are turning it in to a hard core boys driving club. We should be trying to attract everyone to come with us - from 1147cc to 2.5PI...

Another stop over wouldnt add anything to the cost of the trip  either - another £50 for those who want to hotel it - even less for campers... petrol is still the same - food is still the same... it also adds more time for people to catch up if broken down, and also more social/beer time!

My thoughts anyway...

The spirit of the event is enjoyable endurance driving on a budget. This is my second 10CR and it was better than the first. Why? I knew what to expect!
I've heard some people complaining about how it worked out and most of those where not on the first one.
Maybe it's our fault for not selling the 10CR as it is.

Dean.

The challenge of the 10CR for me was getting two cars to the sodding start line something I only just managed to do I had been running on adreleline for four days previous ..but thats how I like it thats half the fun for me it makes you do things you wounldt normally take on (here are some pictures of the shed three weeks before the start! ) one of those weeks I was home alone parent looking after 8 month old Oscar,and working flat out lining myself up for a new job as team leader in Devon! so the run? It was a holiday!!
Ways to improve it?
Give the maps out earlier to allow plan Bs to be thought up
European start so we are all acroos the channel at the same time-investigate group bookings
Thursday night-dash to Nice/South of France any which way you want
Friday night get ming-monged toggether on strong continental lager
Sat -zig zag through the alps to the "Ring"
Sunday Night get ming monged on strong continental lager-camp/hotel/b+b near the ring
Monday up early do the ring dash for the ferrys ,meet at the Plough get ming monged on warm cloudy ale eat pies

As for the cars carry the minimum,fit uprated rear springs give yourself plenty of time to get them ready HA HA HA HA HA !

A holiday..Andy, what are you on?

James, i think an awful lot was learned from10CR2003, unfortunately not all was put into practice. Some problems we had then, we had again. eg petrol panics and rest halts in the middle of nowhere.

I'm all for a relaxed touring holiday, and i was one of those people complaining last time that it was too compact/too hard. But to quote 'the Raider', who's idea it was anyway........"Im sorry Dean, but its an endurance run. Simple as that........"

I do think and i'm sure that all 10CR2003 teams will agree that the atmosphere was even better this time around, due to the grouping of the teams on the lunch and overnight stops. This giving everyone the chance to meet their fellow teams, and a lot of nice people they turned out to be!

Dean.

Take the timings on the maps and schedule with a pinch of salt. I remember going through the splugenpass, and looking at the suggested timings for the rest halts, and our current time and thinking we were 2 hours behind everybody, and getting generally stressed that we would have to miss out the nurburgring. It wasn't until we were at the end of the splugen, that we met up with the yellow missile and red TR6, that we realised we were near the front rather than at the back, but missed out the stelvio as it was getting dark. In hindsight we should of missed out splugen and gone round stelvio, but live and learn.

Also if we hadn't gone the long way round to Davos, and hadn't spent two hours at the Toyo tuning day, we could of easily got 3+ hours sleep on the saturday night, which would of made a lot of difference.

I don't think that there is too much point going into the details of the 10CR if we are not the organisers, Martin's aim is to keep it simple and keep it cheap. Martin will, no doubt, learn from what we have learned but I hope he keeps to a fundamental principle: that the 10 CR is an endurance run.

I'm left with an overall feeling of contentment and pride that I was a part of a group of strangers, mostly, that were joining in an adventure for a few days where we thrashed ourselves and our Triumphs across Europe. Where we broke down we helped or were helped, where we met at restaurants/cafes we talked 10 to the dozen, where we met up on the road we drove hard, when we were alone we were relieved to meet up with others.

So, while I wouldn't want to see any major changes to the 10CR I would like a bit of flexibility and I agree with Andy P about getting the maps earlier to make any plan Bs, also, I would just like to know where I'm going. I agree also with Andy that getting to the South of France/Med could be an easier dash, leaving the major Alpine passes for the Saturday. Getting ming-monged is a bit of a priority of mine as well (having missed the 'do' at Ventimiglia and Lesa), perhaps a bit more certainty could be built in for everyone to meet up.

Oh, the flexibility I mentioned earlier is that I might want to build in a crafty hotel/doss house stop for a few hours (I would never admit to this, of course). Sleeping in a car is fine, if its got a large comfy rear seat but in a GT6...

Car wise: I just love my car and but for boiling up once and having the gearbox topped up (thanks Walker Bros) it was perfect...as usual! Thanks Jimmy for the great photos that adorn my computer screen during my dark hours at work.

All in all, a really great time and in about 18 months we will all be getting excited about the 10CR once again.

Bl**dy hell this thread was not about how the event should be improved, its about how to make the event better for yourself next time.

Do this by for example by stating how you would change the way you approached the event, the way you prepared the car etc. You will give pointers/clues to future 10CR participants. Pass those tips on.

As you can see, I have refrained from commenting so that I don't influence the debate.

Regarding the evolution of the event and what it is supposed to be - I am ahving lots of feedback, keep it coming.

Regarding getting myself and the car ready, her's my thoughts.

1) Try and avoid lots of mileage on company business the two days before!
2) Fit the car with uprated springs, extra lamps and the best tyres you can afford.

Try and make sure you're car is waterproof, as it wasn't fun getting the gaffa tape out on the italian motorways and trying to waterproof the car in the pissing rain.

Pack some more food, as i could of done with some fresh fruit on the journey, rather than all the red bull we took.

Check the oil level and fluids frequently, as our oil level at the sunday night was rather low.

Actually use the ear plugs i'd packed, rather than forget about them until emptying the car on the monday

[quote by=sarah_johnson link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,m=1127124131,s=26 date=1127246860] :-/Tim I would like to say a few things about what was learnt but ELLIS said the girlies on the forum are always moaning,  >:([/quote]

See, you're moaning again !!! :P

[quote by=ajp25tc link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,m=1127124131,s=44 date=1127378443] Fit the car with uprated springs, extra lamps and the best tyres you can afford.

Absolute top advice even if you cant afford pies for the trip make sure you can see where you are going stick to the surface you are on and not bottom out![/quote]

Yep, I'd echo that as well... the 575lb springs on the back of the Bus made a huge difference... and given new tyres, we only had a couple of understeer moments... all oversteer moments were planned showboating (honest !!)  ;D

My thoughts:
1. Don't bother carrying half your tool cabinet. Think seriously about what jobs you are likely to undertake and take tools to suit.
2. Convoy - probably not more than 3 cars, but it does make it more of a laugh and helps passengers get rest in the non-leading cars.
3. Don't leave it until 2 weeks before to get your MOT - it makes you panic !!!

I think the event is great, but would have liked to have done Stelvio and the Ring, but missed out due to various goings on. Perhaps next time if we stayed Friday night nearer the Alpine passes, we could do those during the day and head for Germany a bit earlier ??  -  Have to say though, upon getting back, I had that buzz that I got after finishing my first RBRR - brilliant stuff and hats off to Martin and Tim for their part in the organisation. ;)

Changes before doing again?  Not go in open car unless good weather GUARANTEED!

The whole thing was great, the car performed well, except at very high altitude, even then it soldiered on.  The runs in daylight  - the first French passes, across Italy both ways - were wonderful, until it rained.  That was miserable.  But we were warned.

What wouldn't we take?  Camping stove, kettle and tea bags - no need, no opportunity!
What would we take? Waterproof bags for dry clothing.  The clear A3 zipbag for the maps worked perfectly - they were the only dry materials in the car.  Proper helmet intercoms, with built in MP3 player - cheapskate Davies bought a simple one.
Also re: open car, full-face helmets.  The ringing in the ears has stopped now - need to study how bikers keep their hearing intact.  Jonathan?

John, CoDriver SuperSix, car 42

Archived