10CR- What was learnt?

Tim Bancroft

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote by=JohnD link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,m=1127124131,s=49 date=1127475315]Need to study how bikers keep their hearing intact. [/quote]

John, my mate uses those foamy earplug thingys that you get for grand prixs etc. We also use these in the car to aid sleeping - works as well !!! ;)

[quote by=TR7Nutter link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,m=1127124131,s=52 date=1127584426]

John, my mate uses those foamy earplug thingys that you get for grand prixs etc. We also use these in the car to aid sleeping - works as well !!! ;)[/quote]

the thing about helmet wind-noise is that it maked the whole of the helmet vibrate and a degree of noise is transmitted to the occupants head via mechanical vibration of the skull, earplugs are not able to reduce this element of transmitted noise which limits the effect of earplugs

still, I'd take the T and hloss anyday for the buzz!

b

RBRR stickers were made by a different manufacturer and we have not received complaints, however it does help if one waxes the panel prior to application.

My drivers dood has obviously been poorly painted or has dead paint as i now have an area wher the paint has come off!

The RBRR stickers will be the usual size, however we will be modifying the design.

Yep, I'm with the polish thing... my TR7 proved the point last year. First RBRR we did, we didn't do this and it took some paint off... Last year, we polished the doors with a good quality paste polish as James suggests and they came off no problem and in one piece (now on my cabinet doors in my garage  ;D)

Have to say I gave my car a good coat of Harly Wax the day before I left for the Plough and when I got back the stickers peeled straight off AND all the road muck washed off and left my car looking well :D

I might see if I can get one of my stickers mounted and framed :D

Hot water, hot air gun - all uses the same principle of melting the glue on the sticker...

As for Autoglym polish... that's a liquid polish isn't it... I think you'd be better using a paste wax instead. I've had problems with Mer in the past... nice and easy to put on, but pants at protexting against that sort of thing...

Some cleaning basics.

Polish cleans your paint and nothing else - it's usually an abrasive. In effect its like very gentle sandpaper! If you use a very abrasive polish like Mer - your cloth should turn whatever colour your car is (assuming you don't have clear coat paint) All polishing does is take off the top upper most surface of the paint. It takes off any oxidation and should remove any light swirls in the paint. Products to avoid here are T-cut - its evil! It's a pretty strong chemical which will remove the oxidation but doesnt polish much. Ideally you want to smooth out the top surface of the paint so its nice and shiney.

Wax protects your paint. After polishing, your paint is even more open to attack from the elements - you've just made way for a load of oxidation to happen again! Think of cutting aluminium and how it oxidises - like that but slower. So what you need to do is put on a layer of wax to stop the air and pollution from reaching the paint. It stops it from going back to the unshiney oxidised state. It also helps later on for cleaning - as the dirt doesnt have anything to grip to.

Mer is actually a reasonable abrasive polish - but use in moderation. The reason it didnt do anything is because it doesnt have any protecting properties (like all polishes)

I'm not a fan of Autoglym polish because I don't understand it - how can one product clean your paint and wax it at the same time? (extra gloss polish) After you have properly polished and waxed your car - you don't need to go back and polish it for a while - as long as you maintain it the wax should protect it. If you do polish it - you take off all that wax you applied last time. So with the Autoglym the next time you apply it, it's taking off the old wax? It does give a shiney car - but what does it do? Does it polish properly or wax properly? Compromised solution...

In short, polish and wax are two completly different things. If you polish, you must wax - or you'll be going around in circles. Once you've waxed - you don't need to polish next time around.

Oh dear I've rambled...

Thanks James, that's very informative.

I'll have to go and read what it says on the tin (well bottle) and report back, but that'll be next week.  I am off to a trackday at Aintree this w/e.

I had thought that the purpose of the AG Extra Gloss Finish is to cover and protect in the manner of wax.

Chris 

for some of the entries........
"Keep on runnin'...in"

BTW I've done loads of sticker work, on and off. As Andy says warm the glue and the whole thing comes off without problems. But dont get carried away. Even the use of a paint stripper does work, but in unexperienced hands it will.........strip the paint off!!!!
The panel has to feel nicely warm without hotspots, so keep the hair drier/etc moving at all times.

Dean.

Archived