Favourite section

Raider

• 2 weeks later...

This may sound blod, but what I remember most is the drive along the Italian coast.  For a start, it wasn't raining, and those tunnels! And those bridges!

What other nation would have the Style to not bother with finding a flat route, just blasting through, but with curves?  The Italians are NOT driving maniacs, just enthusiastic.  There was a little Fiat pickup that screamed past Jon and I, lurched across in front to let us pass and get another look, tried to pass again for ditto and expired, apparently.  I hope his engine wasn't redhot, his enthusiasm certainly was!

The Lancia saloon that passed with a toot,  the passenger halfway out of the window with his mobile, the driver turned right round in his seat and waving!  Too many toots, I think!

And that story about the Carabinieri encouraging fast cars to demonstrate their prowess - almost true.  We were doing about 90 (mph), a big 4x4 came up behind and tailgated us for a while, then passed with a wave.    THEN I noticed the blue lights (unlit) and the Polizia sign.

Stuff of legends.
John

Archived