Favourite section

Raider

How about a few comments on our favourite sections of the route ??)

This can either be from the original run in 03 or a section entrants are thinking about for the 05 event.

I'll start off with the 2003 run.

By a process of elimination -

The Plough to Dover  - no, not really - can't remember much of this and then there was the kick in the teeth of Ellis's retirement :'(

Calais to midnight - This section has it's own merits. There's the anticipation of setting off into the unknown on this first event, not forgetting "Nelly the elephant" on the CD around Valenciennes!

Midnight to breakfast - the surreal stop in Bar sur Arbe in the early hours, memorable for the real sense of adventure starting to dawn on me. Of course after this was the rather challenging roads down to Dijon where speeds picked up and a certain incident involving a 2000 and a TR4 occurred.  ;)

Breakfast to Grenoble - nothing to comment on really apart from alot of rain getting by the sunroof!

Grenoble to Nice - wow! Great roads, mile after mile of hairpins and fantastic scenery. Not forgetting a memorable evening in Nice with cars being worked on in the car park of the hotel, a great meal and being forced to stay up drinking at the bar ;D

Nice to Lesa - great roads from Menton to the Italian border, good camaraderie as we all waited for the road to open again after a fatal accident. a non descript drive across a flat northern Italy omly enlovended by the amazingly named town of Bra! Lesa tho with the meal laid on and meeting Alberto - that was quite something.

After this - not so good for us really due to the problem with the TR in Austria resulting in a mad drive back to Calais :-/

Ok - my award goes to the section from Grenoble to Nice and including that evening - thanks to the crew of the White Tornado for forcing me stay up into the early hours in the hotel bar ;)

Fave parts for me and my mate Rich were:

The camarderie on the ferry- everyone a bit apprehensive!

The section from Calais through France, giving the car some stick down some superb French 'B' roads either amazing the locals who were outside drinking in small village bars or waking up the locals later on.

Wondering why someone  had left a warning triangle on a hairpin- to be told later on that one of the Triumphs had left it to warn the rest of us! Think it was Greeks.

Breakfast in Louhans!

Over night stop, me and Rich stayed at his flat in Nice, went out and watched England play in a french bar and then on for a nice meal in the old part of Nice- got pi**ed and collapsed with fatigus sometime later. Got up and went to work on the car replenishing the gearbox oil level in the underground car park at Rich's flat. All a bit surreal!

Watching the crazy fools swimming- Randle's Speedos- crikey!

The Stretch!

The section from Mentorn thro. the French Alps with Dougie and Mary C in the TR2 and The Walker Bros and Carrie Ann in the Brown 2500TC- superb fun- roads like the start of 'Goldeneye'. Rich my co-driver had to temper my driving.
Also great memory of pulling up outside a French bistro and being asked to move the cars by the owner as we were blocking his route to his garden terrace where people were eating. On moving my car we had left a pool of EP90, nicely positioned for the cafe owner to slip A over T on. Outcame the rags as I cleaned the road!

The fast drive from Strasbourg to Calais following the Walker 2500, who told me that they would keep to 85mph, however when bumping into them a month later I found out that their speedo was under reading- reckon we did 95mph for about 2 hours continually- fastest I have ever driven the GT6 for such a long time.

The pint in 'The Plough'!

Top event or what- cannot wait for the next one.

Just realised why I like Club Triumph so much- Good friends, RBRR and 10CR!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote]Wondering why someone  had left a warning triangle on a hairpin- to be told later on that one of the Triumphs had left it to warn the rest of us! Think it was Greeks./quote]

It was me Tim if it was near Dijon. I did the same at the Nurburging.

We'll be swimming again and I have new speedo's ;D  Unfortunately the physique isn't new :'(

Anyway, you haven't answered the question - which was your favourite bit/

Being new to the event I can't speak about 2003 experiences. The TR7 Sprint team recons the Alps will be the best section.  Obviously Stelvio is great, never driven it from south to north, so that's new to us as well. Southside has wide corners and will be great to drive up quickly. Going down on the northern side with 48 narrow hairpins will be challenging as well  :) Not sure about the rest of the route (another good thing about the 10CR)  but I recon we will take the Passo Resia towards Austria  and Swiss.  At least I hope so  ;D It's a great road with wide corners and good visability. Very suitable for fast motoring!! Had so much fun on it with the BMW last year...  On the way up I was chasing a new 3 series testcar from BMW. Completely coverd with black tape etc.  Not sure the testdriver was amused with the old E30 on his back!  Another favourite section will be the Nordschleife. Never been on it yet, though I promised myself to do a lap very soon. Hopefully by using  the GT6 otherwise the Beemer will do! Good thing the Nurburgring  is only 165k from where I live.

[quote by=GTRoger link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,v=display,m=1111688769,s=4 date=1111778229]  but I recon we will take the Passo Resia towards Austria  and Swiss.  At least I hope so  ;D It's a great road with wide corners and good visability. Very suitable for fast motoring!! [/quote]

Yes, we will be taking this route ;)

Glad you like it and it's good to hear from someone who has driven on this bit - true to the spirit of the first event there are parts of the route only "visited" virtually by the organiser :D

I think my favourite section was on the border from Lichtenstein to Germany or was it Austria to Germany or …..
Anyway, it was raining, dark, not so warm but the roof was down. I had the passports ready to present and I remember thinking what could they guys be thinking when they see a German car with 2 Brits in it. I was expecting being held up for hours trying to explain the situation.  As I presented the passports he did not even look at them just at us 2, he waved ever so slightly with his hand and as we were passing said “brave”.

I don’t think he really believed what he was seeing.

AndyF

I think my favourite section was on the border from Lichtenstein to Germany or was it Austria to Germany or …..
Anyway, it was raining, dark, not so warm but the roof was down. I had the passports ready to present and I remember thinking what could they guys be thinking when they see a German car with 2 Brits in it. I was expecting being held up for hours trying to explain the situation.  As I presented the passports he did not even look at them just at us 2, he waved ever so slightly with his hand and as we were passing said “brave”.

I don’t think he really believed what he was seeing.

AndyF

Memories, memories...

Ringing my family from the ferry to tell them that I'll be home in a couple of days.

Catching up to the Dolomite and then pulling over to join Tim Hunt standing on an embankment in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere "Turn your lights off" said Tim, "what are you looking at?" said I,  Tim's reply "The stars".

The midnight run along Lake Maggiori with fireworks on the opposite shore.

Wandering round the medieval town in the Alps.

Lost in Vallencienses...again!

Getting 5 mins sleep while Dean took the wheel.

The relief that Tim and his passenger were unhurt in their prang.

Getting pissed on my own in a cafe next to the beach at Nice.

Cacaphony of horns and British exhaust notes in tunnels.

But you know, the best bit for me was being in the company of The Stretch, for me it embodied all the virtues of what being a Triumph owner means!

• 2 months later...

Best bit of 2005 for me at the moment will be getting to the start and then seeing all the cars in the Plough car park.

The sense of anticipation will be amazing ;D

I must stop and think for a moment on the day - this is what 2 year's wait has been for :o

And it will be good talking to those starting out on their first 10CR - don't worry guys and gals, it will be even better than you thought, just relax and enjoy ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Don't you worry Don - there's two routes.

The "suggested route" if we get on an earlier ferry which goes via Steenvoorde and a "late route" if we have to take the ferries we are booked on or your name is Andy pearce who is going to a completely different port ::)

The "late route" uses toll motorways and meets up witht he "suggested route" at Rheims.

I will be going over this in the driver's briefing. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

What I'm looking forward to the most I think is seeing Nigel Gair, grinning like The Joker from Batman, as he storms his car through the tunnel in Monaco. Also........ well just the whole thing really. Hopefully keeping up with Mr Bancroft again, ala RBR !!

• 1 month later...

Thought of something whilst i was out tonight.

Maybe not the best section but one of the moments I will remember for a long time was Jason Chinn/Carl Shakespeare/Colin Wake playing the soundtrack to the Italian job on the campsite in ventimiglia at the start of the day.

Just brilliant lads ;)

Archived