Stub axle removal?

mazfg

Hi all, managed to take the right hand side of my front supension off this weekend and AR bar too. Had a slight problem with the bottom wishbone in the the bolt on the left hand side would only come out if I took the wishbone bracket off.....I decided to cut the bolt off in the end (rather than removing bracket) whilst slicing my forehead when the cutting disc flew off  :o

Anyway all bits are in my workshop. How do I get the stub axle out? I unscrewed the nyloc nut most of the way but wondered how easy the stub axle is to come out. Do I need to hit it hard with a mallet?? How much force is required?

next step is the other side then off to get some parts sandblasted and powder coated.

I was told hit with one good hard whack,which my mate did.
They came streight out on the second whack,I then bought two new streight stub axels !

In fairness my mate was a bit light handed on the first hit which is probably why he messed up

If you are using new Stubbs make sure the holes in the end are in the correct place mine are not so I had to a washer otherwise the split pin was nowhere near the castle nut

And with a washer

Had the same problem, stub axles would not come out. One side eventually came out with a good few whacks, the other had to be put in a hydraulic press at my father in laws workplace and 15 tonnes of pressure had to be applied before it shot out like a bullet.

If you do use a mallet to whack 'em out, put the old nyloc on the back and hit that so you don't damage the threads.

Like Dave I ended up buying two new stub axles as well.

Dave, are your stub axles all the way home in the vertical link? Just that is a canny difference in holes, mine needed a bit of persuasion with the press again to get them pushed fully in. Then again maybe yours just had the holes drilled nearer the end.

GarthT
     The holes are drilled wrong it's something like 9mm from the end and it should be more 15mm
I did ring the retailer but the whole batch was the same and he queried the manafacture who said they have always been that as they are drilled on jig !!

Archived