Driveshaft removal

heraldcoupe

"Remove hub nut."
That's all it says in the workshop manual. Easy on the lefthand side, the righthand nut is nowhere near as cooperative. Has this got a lefthand thread, even though it's not mentioned in the manual? I have tried a 2ft long Snap-On extension bar with my (not inconsiderable) weight applied. The car moves despite chocks and handbrake, but the nut doesn't.
Cheers,
Bill.

Bill, According to the parts list, the nut on each driveshaft is the same part number , CKP 7058 , so they must both be RH threads.  They are done up very tight - initial spec is 150Nm.  Are the brakes working - get someone to put their foot on the brake pedal !
Did I give you a copy of the parts list, or have you lost it ?

The car is a breaker, very rotten in all the important places. I don't need the driveshaft itself, it has to come off to get the engine out. At a push I'll pull as much of the suspension as I need to get it out, just helpful if I can leave it largely intact so it can go back down on it's wheels,
Cheers,
Bill.

• 1 month later...

I used a 2-foot Snap-on breaker bar and stood on it. The wheel turned....... the front of the car was on the ground and the wheels were chocked!
In the end I dropped the entire supension assembly from that side, it's sat in the barn with the driveshaft still attached,
Cheers,
Bill.

Archived