doctee

Hi All,
       i have a 3.63 diff from a spitfire (I think), i would like to know,

1)  would this be good or bad for a 1300 herald running a 5 speed ford gearbox conversion.
2) would the diff fit into my riginal casing (instead of removing the the complete diff just fit the half with the diff gears into my original housing.
3) where the diff no is on the casing.

I checked the ratio by spinning both output shafts and counting the input shaft turns and i got just over  3.5 turns.
many thanks

probably a bit too "long" for a 1300, the 4.11 will be much better, especially with the fith gear.
The casings are all the same (except number of stud holes for the spring mounting) so yess can be swapped, but why? It is straightforward to swap a diff, but to swap  the internals would be tricky, if indeed possible, under the car. The output shafts come off, then all the bolts attaching the two halves. At best it would mean undoing the front diff mounts, and the spring would need to come off to enable the front to drop. Even then it would be tricky. Just drop the diff and swap the whole thing. But then again don't, keep the 4.11!
Clive

I think 3.63 is a bit tall for a 1300.  3.89 is ok on a tuned 1300 (done that), otherwise stick with 4.11, especially if you overdrive or 5th gear available.

If you ever fit a 1500 (good conversion for a Herald) then the 3.63 immediately becomes a good idea.

Nick

thanks for the swift response, i will keep the 4.11, the reason i was going to swop the housing is because the spare has no drain hole and i am preetty sure the original has.
thanks again
p.s I won't be changing the engine for a while as I have just fitted a rebuilt engine from Jigsaw..

ain't got a father-in-law and i'm not loosing my freedom to have a guy put a drain bolt in a diff i'm not going to use------it's been put on fleabay now and i'll use the 4.11 diff and just replace the pinion oil seal, hey thanks for the input thogh

Archived